Third Party Press

Thread: Help with identification of a bayonet

Default Help with identification of a bayonet

I'm trying to help out a friend, he has this 98k bayonet im trying to figure out about the maker and value on it so i can pay him a fair price. The rifles are more my field of experience so I'm out of my element here.

Its clean, never sharpened, and the bayonet and scabbard match. That's really all i can provide currently. Its dated 1940 and the grips are wood.

20170812_111529.jpg20170812_111511.jpg20170812_111517.jpg

Looks like a matching german S84/98 bayonet, production of Gebr.Heller 1940 with proper phenolic resin grips,also not wood. b.r.Andy

Scarce marker and date combination.
    A good deal, I think..

Best regards
    Aws

Default Unless I am mistaken

I think he is looking for a value. I PMed him what I thought it was worth, but a few other opinions would be interesting.

Mike

Over here in he uk that would be worth around 80 to 90 pounds.

I think the last one of these I saw at the National Gun day show was priced close to $400.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Default Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    I think the last one of these I saw at the National Gun day show was priced close to $400.
    $400 would be high in my book. I told him 150ish. The maker and year is a little more scarce than a generic asw or cof, but not what I would call rare , and the scabbard has a good deal of rust. Crossguard and scabbard have enough rust to be pitted.

As slash would say, just my thoughts.....

Yeah i was thinking the same thing but everything is high at those shows anymore. I did pick up a nice ASW43 blade with matching scabbard at the June show for $150 though. Mint condition but I had to do some digging also had a reproduction frog on. But luckily that reproduction frog hide the matching scabbard.

Only blades I'll start paying over $400 for our close to $400. Would be phosphate blades, really early mint condition blades, or ones with really scarce frogs plus a scarce maker with them. Most of the time I try to get them for under $200 if I can.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

Gebr Heller is the rarest manufacturer with Rich. Herder in 1940. It's a good choice. For the price, each one sees as he wants…

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Aws View Post
    Gebr Heller is the rarest manufacturer with Rich. Herder in 1940. It's a good choice. For the price, each one sees as he wants…

Regards

So $400.00 is the market price for that piece? I was thinking around $200.00. I pick up a bayonet when I can but I am no expert. Condition is what holds the price down for me. If it was in higher condition, $225.00 to $250.00.