Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ha!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

That was interesting. I made a little illustration show some of what I'm talking about. It's very hard to remove material and keep the original contours. This happens a lot with bolt shrouds/collars. The transitional edge is lost. It's very hard for that NOT to happen. In this example the green lines roughly define the original machining transitions. Someone try and tell me metal has not been removed in the areas bordered by red. IMO it's very obvious. Did 'he' do it? I have no idea, however trying to pass this off as some kind of 'one of a kind' wonder piece begs several questions.humped receiver.jpg
    x

In Elites words its no different then restoring a classic car your making it matching.

But I asked him is a factory original untouched classic car worth more then a restored car thats the same model.

The answer yes!

If you want too sell rifles as restored list them as such but he says their rare unique variants with a BS story. My favorite quote by him so far. "I have seen rifles like this sell for $3000 but I'm selling it as a true auction with no reserve and a penny opening bid you decide the value."

In the words of Rick Harris. "I'll give you $30 with a cup of gobstoppers". Got make money man best I can do!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Other than fonts there are just some areas that are so hard to remove material from to hide marks so it becomes obvious. I'd say receiver rings, no matter how crude the machining even in late war examples have a really true radius that's hard to hide. Bolt roots and shrouds are equally difficult because known examples typically show the depth and contour of the cut. Same goes for trying to remove the Russian or Yugo stamps from the stock. Just can't really hide that.

I'd love to see what a NASCAR style template looks like against that receiver. Bet you'd see a lot of light under such a template.
    x