Third Party Press

Thread: Bolt modifications from 8mm to .308?

Forum Newbie

Default Bolt modifications from 8mm to .308?

Need to know what are the modifications to the bolt, extractor, follower for the bolt to be compatible to .308. I have a sported dot 44 aq. but all metal is matching. I have a NOS Israeli .308 barrel that I will install as well as a trigger guard blocked for .308. Also unsporting the whole thing back to early 44 parts. Can someone point out any writeups or thread that can help me out?

Still keeping all pieces removed and will not modify irreversibly a matched set!!!!

I have seen 8mm bolts all day but only one .308 seller and prices show this limited availability.

this is not a builder site per se

but since I m a builder, I will respond I was always under the impression one could use a 8mm bolt with a 308 cartridge the 8mm rim dia is 11.95 mm, while the 308 rim diameter is 12.01 mm man that's close I would remove the extractor and see if the 308 cartridge fits in the bolt face, if it does then you "MAY" have to trim the extractor lip a "C" hair.
    for the triggerguard I would have purchased a sarco unit or brownells unit

for function and testing, please use dummy ammo rounds

Default 8mm/.308

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    this is not a builder site per se

but since I m a builder, I will respond I was always under the impression one could use a 8mm bolt with a 308 cartridge the 8mm rim dia is 11.95 mm, while the 308 rim diameter is 12.01 mm man that's close I would remove the extractor and see if the 308 cartridge fits in the bolt face, if it does then you "MAY" have to trim the extractor lip a "C" hair.
    for the triggerguard I would have purchased a sarco unit or brownells unit

for function and testing, please use dummy ammo rounds
    I have a Yugo Mauser that I put a NOS Israeli .308 barrel in. Works fine, no mods to extractor needed.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dirtweazle View Post
    Need to know what are the modifications to the bolt, extractor, follower for the bolt to be compatible to .308. I have a sported dot 44 aq. but all metal is matching. I have a NOS Israeli .308 barrel that I will install as well as a trigger guard blocked for .308. Also unsporting the whole thing back to early 44 parts. Can someone point out any writeups or thread that can help me out?

Still keeping all pieces removed and will not modify irreversibly a matched set!!!!

I have seen 8mm bolts all day but only one .308 seller and prices show this limited availability.

Your original bolt / extractor require no modification to use w/.308 ammo