Third Party Press

Gewehr 98 sling maker

Hi, my first post on this forum. I came across this gewehr 98 sling in excellent condition, does any one recognize the maker? Thanks
ce176ad32447118e5addbd7ef0489bc3.jpg
0fa6246d663f7a7eda2e99498d6d9679.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There were hundreds of leather companies in Germany 1898-1945, often working in cooperatives, to identify the maker one would need a firm place to start, like the city. This looks like it might be Berlin, a rather large (huge) city with many firms engaged in leather products. Second we would need at least a partial name, - many wartime slings (from WWI) have depot markings rather than maker marks, yours is commercial and theoretically would be easier to determine if you could give better pictures (clear with distinct letters showing). I have not recorded many Berlin marked slings, but have recorded several Berlin firms engaged in other leather products, many of which probably made such a simple thing as slings. Unfortunately really nice original Imperial slings are elusive, their age and use/abuse, poor preservation methods have made them hard to find and therefore few to document.

Most of what we know about leathers makers (slings, pouches, saddles, cases, holsters etc..) are from WWII where surviving examples are many times more common. Naturally many firms disappeared in the interwar period, the vindictive treaties caused serious economic problems for Germany and the chaos that followed caused many business failures. (Generally, then as now, the government buy-bail outs, which were common in Germany 1919-1933, were for large firms, especially firms with large payrolls or export footprint, many of these small leather makers probably can't be traced by the larger WWII databases.)

Great information from Paul and I'll just say this finding World War 1 slings, pouches, or other leather items is incredibly tough from this era.

You will find 20 to 30 times more world war 2 stuff in this category than Imperial. The only reason I finally got a nice ammo pouch correct for my Gew98 rifles was a member and a friend finally sold me one here. At the Kentucky shows I saw one for sale in the whole show and it was in poor condition and expensive. In my collecting experience I have yet to find an original sling in this period for sale.

When I go to shows anymore if I see a box full of pouches or slings I usually dig hoping to find something Imperial in there. I did see a nice 1871 Mauser ammo pounch at the National gun day show sell for 20 bucks. So deals are out there you just have to look and be patient.

Great information from Paul and I'll just say this finding World War 1 slings, pouches, or other leather items is incredibly tough from this era.

You will find 20 to 30 times more world war 2 stuff in this category than Imperial. The only reason I finally got a nice ammo pouch correct for my Gew98 rifles was a member and a friend finally sold me one here. At the Kentucky shows I saw one for sale in the whole show and it was in poor condition and expensive. In my collecting experience I have yet to find an original sling in this period for sale.

When I go to shows anymore if I see a box full of pouches or slings I usually dig hoping to find something Imperial in there. I did see a nice 1871 Mauser ammo pounch at the National gun day show sell for 20 bucks. So deals are out there you just have to look and be patient.

Regarding the Gerw98 slings, you've just not asked if member/friends had any they'd part with, lol.

Don't tell me you have an whole draw full of Gew98 slings! Been too two NGD shows this year and haven't seen one for sale. Maybe I'll see one in the fall.

I did see a few Gew98 pouches at the SOS show though.

Thanks guys! With some help I now believe it to be, Friedrich Erb, Berlin S.O.13. He recognized it by the shape and seeing other leather items made by the same maker, that's what I was looking for

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Is very nice and in great condition. The hunt for original slings sounds difficult indeed. Hear the going price if often $100-150. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah I would think so I don't come across them for sale. I believe I saw one for sale at the SOS show this year poor condition.

Rickdiehl19,

Out of curiosity, do mind telling us where you were able to locate a sling this well preserved. What a great condition for its age.

Joe

Rickdiehl19,

Out of curiosity, do mind telling us where you were able to locate a sling this well preserved. What a great condition for its age.

Joe
Thanks guys! Joe, I was lucky to come across it on eBay Germany. The lister had it listed as a shoulder strap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back