Third Party Press

Opinions on duv42

u96

Hi. This all matching but the handguard rifle sold for 1100. I can't afford the mint all matching rifles so this a good example of one I would consider. What I'm wondering is if the sanding and light staining of the stock make this overpriced at 1100 for most of you (excepting those who have been waiting for an early duv 42 specifically and would pay a premium for this code). Pic 45 shows the spine where only two of the serial numbers can be clearly seen. Pic 52 shows the clearly serialized barrel channel. Seeing as these numbers are on the same piece of wood it can safely be assumed that the spine serial is a match. Thanks in advance for your two cents!http://www.gunbroker.com/item/68183525

Well, the link isn't working. Great. The gun can be seen under completed auctions. If you search duv 42 it's the first one that comes up. Sorry.

Hi. This all matching but the handguard rifle sold for 1100. I can't afford the mint all matching rifles so this a good example of one I would consider. What I'm wondering is if the sanding and light staining of the stock make this overpriced at 1100 for most of you (excepting those who have been waiting for an early duv 42 specifically and would pay a premium for this code). Pic 45 shows the spine where only two of the serial numbers can be clearly seen. Pic 52 shows the clearly serialized barrel channel. Seeing as these numbers are on the same piece of wood it can safely be assumed that the spine serial is a match. Thanks in advance for your two cents!http://www.gunbroker.com/item/68183525

This one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/681835325

That's the one. Thanks for the help posting it. What are your thoughts on the the sanded stock? Is that a truly collectible rifle in that condition? I know the G43 guys flip out about messed with stocks. Thanks!

That's the one. Thanks for the help posting it. What are your thoughts on the the sanded stock? Is that a truly collectible rifle in that condition? I know the G43 guys flip out about messed with stocks. Thanks!

To me, the term of "collectibility" can be a dangerous trap, because you are forced to apply other folks' standards of what is or is not collectible to your own purchases. It helps to look at "collectibility" or "desirability among the collecting community" not as a binary ON/OFF thing where it is either collectible or not, but as a dimmer switch, where the "collectibility" is a highly debatable thing. Let me expand on that.

Let's say your duv42 is ALL MATCHING, all original parts. Everything. ......BUT the stock has been sanded. It's still the original stock, no doubt about it (in this example) but it is in an altered condition, a known condition. I would say it is collectible yes, and furthermore one would not be doing it service to put it into a NON matching unsanded stock!!

It's just a fact that not every K98 that has made it this far, this many years, is going to be a five-thousand dollar gun. That's just fact, that's how it is. Many collectors with high end collections have MANY MANY GUNS that are not as issued. Again, that's just a fact. Collectibility is kind of a subjective thing, it depends on what THAT buyer thinks of the piece, against what the seller wants for it. Sure it helps to see what other similar guns have gone for, but not every gun will have exact "comparables."

What I'm saying is, there ARE guns that the vast majority of collectors would not want AT ALL, and at the other end there are guns that most knowledgeable collectors would DIE to have, and in between those extremes are the other 95% of guns that exist. Each particular K98 you come across is somewhere along the spectrum of "originality" and also somewhere along the spectrum of "condition." At the same time that same gun is somewhere on the spectrum of "rarity vs. commonality." All of these things must be taken into consideration for each gun encountered.

Is a sanded stock then an automatic deal breaker? I would say no. Should it probably lower the valuation vs. the same gun with an unsanded original stock? Yeah it should. But it's by no means an automatic no-deal. I hate the phrase but it fits: it is what it is. Yes there are collectors that wouldn't touch it, but there are also collectors who would be very happy to have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. I have a K98 that doesn't match and the bolt is from a 98A but since it's a piece of history it's collectable in my eyes. Just like that old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Agreed! Sounds like a fair price to me with so many matchers going for $1500 or maybe more for a rare code. Lightly sanded stock would not be a total deal breaker to me either.

To me, the term of "collectibility" can be a dangerous trap, because you are forced to apply other folks' standards of what is or is not collectible to your own purchases. It helps to look at "collectibility" or "desirability among the collecting community" not as a binary ON/OFF thing where it is either collectible or not, but as a dimmer switch, where the "collectibility" is a highly debatable thing. Let me expand on that.

Let's say your duv42 is ALL MATCHING, all original parts. Everything. ......BUT the stock has been sanded. It's still the original stock, no doubt about it (in this example) but it is in an altered condition, a known condition. I would say it is collectible yes, and furthermore one would not be doing it service to put it into a NON matching unsanded stock!!

It's just a fact that not every K98 that has made it this far, this many years, is going to be a five-thousand dollar gun. That's just fact, that's how it is. Many collectors with high end collections have MANY MANY GUNS that are not as issued. Again, that's just a fact. Collectibility is kind of a subjective thing, it depends on what THAT buyer thinks of the piece, against what the seller wants for it. Sure it helps to see what other similar guns have gone for, but not every gun will have exact "comparables."

What I'm saying is, there ARE guns that the vast majority of collectors would not want AT ALL, and at the other end there are guns that most knowledgeable collectors would DIE to have, and in between those extremes are the other 95% of guns that exist. Each particular K98 you come across is somewhere along the spectrum of "originality" and also somewhere along the spectrum of "condition." At the same time that same gun is somewhere on the spectrum of "rarity vs. commonality." All of these things must be taken into consideration for each gun encountered.

Is a sanded stock then an automatic deal breaker? I would say no. Should it probably lower the valuation vs. the same gun with an unsanded original stock? Yeah it should. But it's by no means an automatic no-deal. I hate the phrase but it fits: it is what it is. Yes there are collectors that wouldn't touch it, but there are also collectors who would be very happy to have it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said.

Some collectors will accept only a piece with no issues. To many, a sanded stock ends the consideration. I understand that mindset and it is fine for those that can hold to it.

Many of us with limited funds can often not find and afford an untouched example, especially some of the rare examples and snipers. I am OK with a nice place holder that I can afford, like sanded, or a duffle cut with lost bands and handguard vs not having an example. Hopes to upgrade are always ongoing though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back