Third Party Press

Local find 43/44asw double date

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
Found this locally a month ago, finally got it in my hands. The guy did not know about the dual dates and neither did I until a hands on today. Pleasant surprise. 43asw marked blade, 44asw marked scabbard, V block. Lightly used. And a 43 dated frog with pebbled leather strap.

Looks to be some blued over grinding under the scabbard suffix, wonder if it is one of the "can" marked scabbards?

Very nice rig. Grinding or other rough machining marks are very common at the throat area on late war pieces. And very common with asw examples. Not necessarily indicative of a ground can scabbard. And some can scabbards subcontracted to Hörster were not ground in any way. Merely overstamped with the serial number or date/code.

On another note, this is the first Franze Brehme frog dated 1943 that I have ever seen. Very late prior to conversion to their RBNr. Like the pebbled retention strap as well. Excellent find.

Interesting, thanks Lance. Doesn't detract at all to me if there's no can mark. Was not expecting one. I got in closer and see no trace.

Happy to hear the frog is uncommon, and the rarity of the bayo code was nice too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back