Third Party Press
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SSD's PTR44 / BD44 In Detail The Semi Automatic MP44

FEW more mag comparison shots L-R SSD, Numerich, WW2 KUR. I didn't shoot the dimples on the Numerich but they're closer to the DDR or WW2 than the SSD originals...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KDF82 View Post
    Hey Pit.. Is your ten round SSD from Dingo? Mine fits and feeds mine at least manually so far. The Numerich and originals fit a wartime 44 very well. In my comparison photos, L - R: Original PTR SSD 30 Rounder with MP44 follower, KUR Marked WW2, Numerich mags from Taiwan, and BD44 10 Round from Dingo.
    Yes - and the ten round FG42 mag, too - which fits like an original.

I got unlucky on the Ten round MP44 mag, not bothered, Tor and Dietrich make and sell great work and everything else I have from them is of very high quality fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
    Yes - and the ten round FG42 mag, too - which fits like an original.

I got unlucky on the Ten round MP44 mag, not bothered, Tor and Dietrich make and sell great work and everything else I have from them is of very high quality fit and finish.
    I couldn't agree more. Funny after you mentioned yours didn't fit your MP44 I tried mine with same result. It fits very nicely in my PTR...

Alrighty, I picked up a couple more boxes of PPU ammo at a little local guns show today and have another ten boxes on the way. That should give me enough brass to start reloading.
    Now, I have NO EXPERIENCE reloading and never planned to but I have a friend with a good Lee (I think) press and accessories and an older brother who has been a hard core reloader for years to go to for technical advice. But I want to ask you guys because you have a lot of experience with reloading for the MP44, just what do I need to reload my 8mm Kurz cases? I have a bunch of Hornady 125 Gr. bullets already and I have empty brass.

1. What primers should I use?

2. What brand and type of powder should I use?

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

5. It looks like a die set comes with a full length size die and a seating die with expander assembly. Do I need anything else or will that cover it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! Help a moron out please!!
    Some P38 "experts" are yo-yo's who, for some reason lost on me, can't or won't accept the truth when it's staring them in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Alrighty, I picked up a couple more boxes of PPU ammo at a little local guns show today and have another ten boxes on the way. That should give me enough brass to start reloading.
    Now, I have NO EXPERIENCE reloading and never planned to but I have a friend with a good Lee (I think) press and accessories and an older brother who has been a hard core reloader for years to go to for technical advice. But I want to ask you guys because you have a lot of experience with reloading for the MP44, just what do I need to reload my 8mm Kurz cases? I have a bunch of Hornady 125 Gr. bullets already and I have empty brass.

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

5. It looks like a die set comes with a full length size die and a seating die with expander assembly. Do I need anything else or will that cover it?

Hi,
    I have been using Hornady sizing dies,full length resize,using CCI 200 large rifle primers in order to avoid slam fires.
    For powder I have been using IMR4198,22gr will give a little over 2000 ft/sec.
    Lately have been experimenting with reclaimed powder from Chinese 7.62x39 cartridges and working up loads with it,works pretty good as well,but you have to start low
    and work up using a chronograph.
    I made an adapter so I can use an 8mm bullet seating die to crimp the bullets but found it not really all that necessary.

Reloading for me is a very relaxing part of shooting military rifles and handguns and it gives you total independence from ammo suppliers,I have been loading everything
    from shotgun,all my different military rifles to my Mauser C96.
    And of course it allows you to taylor the ammo to what the gun likes the best.

Cheers,
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by M1-Garand View Post
    Hi,
    I have been using Hornady sizing dies,full length resize,using CCI 200 large rifle primers in order to avoid slam fires.
    For powder I have been using IMR4198,22gr will give a little over 2000 ft/sec.
    Lately have been experimenting with reclaimed powder from Chinese 7.62x39 cartridges and working up loads with it,works pretty good as well,but you have to start low
    and work up using a chronograph.
    I made an adapter so I can use an 8mm bullet seating die to crimp the bullets but found it not really all that necessary.

Reloading for me is a very relaxing part of shooting military rifles and handguns and it gives you total independence from ammo suppliers,I have been loading everything
    from shotgun,all my different military rifles to my Mauser C96.
    And of course it allows you to taylor the ammo to what the gun likes the best.

Cheers,
    Herman
    I found CCI200 to be too soft for the MP44 floating firing pin. CCI34 NATO primers are harder. As powder I'm using 21gr IMR 4722 to drive a Hornady 3231.

Default kurz loading

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post

3. What powder charge?

4. Hornady, or Lee dies?

I use the CCI mil spec primers #34
    IMR 4227 or Accurate 1680 work well for me
    The Hornady manual has loadings for several other powders too.
    The starting loads shown work fine for me
    The Hornady die set is fine I never tried the Lee
    Lee does make a dedicated factory crimp die for the 7.92X33 that I use, crimping lightly. It's not a regular catalog item but does exist.
    Watch your case overall length, you may need to trim.
    The Kurz rounds size easily needing only a little case lube.
    Case life is good. I know I have cases reloaded at least 8 or 9 times. Neck splits are the usual cause for case loss other than just plain losing them in the weeds.
    A mesh tarp hung from your shooting shelter to stop ejects is your friend as these rifles really throw the brass.
    Pete

I have just recently reloaded for this caliber and I follow Shortfals recipe. I am using lee reloading equipment with Prvi pre-primed brass for now. eventually I will get to the un primed new brass one day. reloading my own is half the fun.

I only use original WW2 magazines but Have been reading most folks are having good results with the numrich repro mags

Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    I found CCI200 to be too soft for the MP44 floating firing pin. CCI34 NATO primers are harder. As powder I'm using 21gr IMR 4722 to drive a Hornady 3231.
    I agree,#34 are better for rifles with free floating firing pins,but are not always easy to find.
    The only slam fire I had in the BD44 was with Federal primers,happened at the range,no harm done,barrel was pointing down range,but scared the sh#t out of me.
    So Federals are only for my bolt rifles.

So,for about 5 years now I have been using CCI 200 in the half dozen semi auto rifles I own(6.5x55 Swedish,8mm Mauser,8mm Kurz,308,and 30-06) and have not had a single problem.

But here is what I do after I buy another semi,I make a dummy round but with a life primer(CCI 200) and a normal bullet but of course no powder in it and cycle it through the action a number of times,sometimes I even remove the extractor so the bolt will impact the case harder, then I inspect the primer and in just about all cases the mark left by the firing pin is barely noticeable,so that leaves me to believe that the primers are hard enough .

Default primers

Quote Originally Posted by M1-Garand View Post
    I agree,#34 are better for rifles with free floating firing pins,but are not always easy to find.
    The only slam fire I had in the BD44 was with Federal primers,happened at the range,no harm done,barrel was pointing down range,but scared the sh#t out of me.
    So Federals are only for my bolt rifles.

So,for about 5 years now I have been using CCI 200 in the half dozen semi auto rifles I own(6.5x55 Swedish,8mm Mauser,8mm Kurz,308,and 30-06) and have not had a single problem.

But here is what I do after I buy another semi,I make a dummy round but with a life primer(CCI 200) and a normal bullet but of course no powder in it and cycle it through the action a number of times,sometimes I even remove the extractor so the bolt will impact the case harder, then I inspect the primer and in just about all cases the mark left by the firing pin is barely noticeable,so that leaves me to believe that the primers are hard enough .

An interesting addition to the primer discussion. I talked to a tech guy at Blount, the Co. that owns CCI about "hard" primers a few years ago. He said that the mil spec ones are not harder but that the anvil was just a bit shorter so as to accommodate the light hits that sometimes happen upon chambering in rifles with non spring loaded firing pins.
    HighTech near St. Charles MO. has most always had them at the Creek. I got some in April but did not check last trip.
    Just checked their site $30 a thousand for #34's.
    Pete
    Last edited by shortfal; Yesterday at 11:03 PM. Reason: more info.