Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSD's PTR44 / BD44 In Detail The Semi Automatic MP44

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Yes sir. I've noticed that original handguards are stiffer and harder to remove. On the Steyr rifle shown, I had to use the tool or I just couldn't get it off. Almost everything I'm posting here will be old hat to many of you guys but I'm posting this elsewhere too so I'm going into extra detail. Also, guests may come here to find information and many of them will not be as knowledgeable as you guys either so I'm going into more detail for them as well. Additionally, since this thread is mainly about the SSD rifle, I didn't include anything about the tool here. Thank you for the input though! I know you are a wealth of information about the MP44 so anything you have to say is much appreciated!
    Fabulous write up Wilhelm !

Here in Canada the BD44 as it was marketed was not burdened with the US 922 regulations.

Some of the problems like broken hammers and sears we don't have,Dittrich must have gotten the hardening process down pat with those,what we did get
    was broken bolts and bolt carriers of course,looking at my broken bolt I'm sure it's a die cast part and not forged like the original ones.
    Trying to get replacement parts from SSD proved fruitless so I ended up installing original WWII parts and the gun functions flawless now.

I also noticed a difference in hand guards,not only is the SSD part a little thinner metal but the groove on the top where it snaps on to the gas tube is
    different from the MP43 (dewat) that I have hanging on the wall.

Also the barrel markings under the hand guard are absent on my BD44,the caliber marking is like yours between the gas block an front sight,so the only
    serial # on the gun is stamped on the left side,a little above where my MP43 is stamped.

Hope you get your computer fixed soon,looking forward to your next post.

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by M1-Garand View Post
    Fabulous write up Wilhelm !

Here in Canada the BD44 as it was marketed was not burdened with the US 922 regulations.

Some of the problems like broken hammers and sears we don't have,Dittrich must have gotten the hardening process down pat with those,what we did get
    was broken bolts and bolt carriers of course,looking at my broken bolt I'm sure it's a die cast part and not forged like the original ones.
    Trying to get replacement parts from SSD proved fruitless so I ended up installing original WWII parts and the gun functions flawless now.

I also noticed a difference in hand guards,not only is the SSD part a little thinner metal but the groove on the top where it snaps on to the gas tube is
    different from the MP43 (dewat) that I have hanging on the wall.

Also the barrel markings under the hand guard are absent on my BD44,the caliber marking is like yours between the gas block an front sight,so the only
    serial # on the gun is stamped on the left side,a little above where my MP43 is stamped.

Hope you get your computer fixed soon,looking forward to your next post.

Herman

Broken bolt/ bolt carriers are the main problem in the USA also. Replacing them with original MP44 parts is the best way forward, I did that myself.
    HDH.

Nice thread Wilhelm. As always ... excellent detail on the parts and explanations of functioning with the added comments that make it educational to read. Or I could say ... Dude !!! ... like awesome thread, man. I'm like totally information overloaded mind blown ... BOOM !!!! LOL Keep it coming.

Hey !!! ... Wazzzup Model ?

Default magwell

The picture of the inside of the magwell is very interesting. Having handled about 6 PTR's that well is the first I have seen where the remnants of the welds that held the steel block that made the PTR's single shots was real obvious.
    In the photo the finish inside the well looks good. I wonder what was done to cover what had to be bare metal after the block removal and weld dressing.
    Cold blue?? whole assembly reblued??
    Anyone know for sure?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by d dAY dOG View Post
    Nice thread Wilhelm. As always ... excellent detail on the parts and explanations of functioning with the added comments that make it educational to read. Or I could say ... Dude !!! ... like awesome thread, man. I'm like totally information overloaded mind blown ... BOOM !!!! LOL Keep it coming.

Hey !!! ... Wazzzup Model ?

Hi Doug. Yes I hope Brian is able to finish the series, very informative........................Dave H.
    HDH.

I'll be back on it as soon as the new computer arrives. It's too hard to do on a kindle!
    Some P38 "experts" are yo-yo's who, for some reason lost on me, can't or won't accept the truth when it's staring them in the face.