Third Party Press

Cleaning k98 stock

u96

Hi. I want to remove varnish from the stock discs so that are just original metal. I think it got there when someone put a thin coat on the wood. What products should I use for this? Thanks

I just bought a 1944 byf (Mauser). I want to clean the stock, as it has 70+ years of dirt and grime on it. I have used 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits in the past to clean my other military guns. I then put a few coats of tung oil on them and every one of them look great. So, my question is will this same technique hurt the laminate stock of a K98? Thanks in advance for the help!

I just bought a 1944 byf (Mauser). I want to clean the stock, as it has 70+ years of dirt and grime on it. I have used 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits in the past to clean my other military guns. I then put a few coats of tung oil on them and every one of them look great. So, my question is will this same technique hurt the laminate stock of a K98? Thanks in advance for the help!
Do not steel wool the stock, you will trash it, any coat of oil on the stock will as well.

Leave it be till some more knowledgeable people answer. Maybe post some pictures, how dirty is it. Any stock stampings ?

It's really not bad at all. Just a bit dirty. I'll post some pictures later. The stock has two really nice waffenamts on it. The issue with me is too many years in the military and dirty weapons drive me crazy. I have a sickness about it! It is my sickness to overcome. This is why I want to clean the gun up, but not to the point of destroying it.

The issue with me is too many years in the military and dirty weapons drive me crazy. I have a sickness about it! It is my sickness to overcome. This is why I want to clean the gun up, but not to the point of destroying it.
So YOU'RE one of the guys who's been cleaning their rifles/carbines to the point of scrubbing off the parkerizing??? :confused: JK, but there ARE some in the Army doing it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back