Third Party Press

Question on dou rifle bolts

Tiger 2 Tank

Hello,
I was reading up in "Kriegsmodell" on the dou rifles. My question is on the bolts.

According to the book (page 283), it states that "almost always" the bolt body root will be marked with a e/63. And, these were supplied from Brunn I. The rest of the bolt parts will have no waffenampt inspection markings.

My question is; "almost always", meaning there were some that possibly didn't have an inspection waffenampt? Just talking about the maker inspection stamp, not reclaimed later bolts and not the firing proof stamp. And, if that is the case, where would a dou bolt come from without an inspection waffenampt (Brunn II)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The authors probably used "almost always" for the same reason I use the term, as a disclaimer.. We are dealing with a minuscule number of rifles (hundreds to evaluate millions made) compared to what were made and potential variables are endless.

As for my observations, Brno II (dou) bolt body trends show almost a complete reliance upon Brno (dot), the only exceptions being in late production ranges FN bolt bodies show up occasionally. In a number of cases the bolt flat may be blank also, but it is probably a poorly struck e/63 or poorly imaged photograph. Late in the war some Astrawerke small components show up on bolts, possibly depot leftovers sent to factories, so it wouldn't surprise me if a Astrawerke bolt body was encountered late in the war.

Okay, so if I understand correctly, one without this stamp is not necessarily incorrect? Just out of the normaility of things.

I would say lacking an e/63 is probably-possibly ok, though unusual, - in such cases the evaluation would rest on the fonts, which are distinctive for dou, and the component mix. This is the normal procedure when something deviates from normal, look to the fonts and component make up, generally rifles follow a pattern seen among rifles around them. I look for consistency among fonts, finish and component mix.

When you see one problem, it is best to scrutinize the rifle thoroughly, one or two things off just means being "curious" (suspicious), it doesn't mean the rifle is bad. Especially later in the war.

Military Rifle Journal
Back