Third Party Press

SVT-40 [SA] capture

8x57mauser

This one isn't German used, but captured by the Finns and taken up into service against its former owner.

Its a pretty much text book Finn capture SVT-40, [SA] property mark on receiver and mag, no matching numbers, stock refinished with the Finn pine tar finish, modified gas adjuster (removed 1.1mm setting and drilled it to 2.0mm to reliably cycle the heavier Finnish ammo in the cold, original though thinning bluing, no import marks, complete mix of Tula and Izhevsk parts. Bore on this one is excellent. The barreled receiver, sights, and muzzle brake are all the original rifle, the rest was put together by the Finns from salvaged rifles to make serviceable rifles, some 15,000 total SVT-40 were captured, by the 1950s when they surplused them out to the US market less than 4,000 guns remained and of them no more than 800-900 were still in functioning condition. These tend to command a higher price than the Soviet refurbs even though the numbers on these never match nor were they ever force matched.

This one I snagged for $650 because it was not matching not knowing that the Finn captures never match and in similar condition in the last few months have been selling for $1700-2100.

DSCN0620.jpgDSCN0621.jpgDSCN0622.jpgDSCN0623.JPGDSCN0625.JPGDSCN0628.jpgDSCN0629.JPGDSCN0630.jpgDSCN0631.jpgDSCN0633.jpgDSCN0634.jpgDSCN0635.jpgDSCN0636.JPG

My Soviet heavy hitters, if the Winchester '73 is the gun that won the West, then these are the guns that won the East(ern Front)
DSCN0637.jpgDSCN0638.jpgDSCN0641.jpgDSCN0642.jpg

Last edited:
Hell I would buy an SVT 40 like that for $650 any day. Nice snag and I to believe these are a step above the later Russian refurb type.

Plus the Finns took the time to shim and properly bed the action to the stock so they are more accurate and don't have the random fliers the Russian guns haven.

True and besides that you paid the Canadian price for one! :thumbsup:

I just saw a refurb type sell at the 1500 show last weekend for $1,300.

True and besides that you paid the Canadian price for one! :thumbsup:

I just saw a refurb type sell at the 1500 show last weekend for $1,300.

yeah and two Century import refurbs, with EP'd numbers just sold on brokegunner last week for $2250 and 2400 though the 2400 one involved a Grey Blanket....last time I bought an SVT back in 2010 they were still $700-900 for a standard refurb. its inevitable the prices are going to keep climbing because by the time their import along with the Russian made SKS was banned in 1996 by Clinton less than 7,000 SVT had made it into the country that's Finn Capture and Soviet refurb combined. That's why the low Canadian prices as they all ended up getting dumped up there.

$650 is a great price. I have been looking for one priced like this for shooting. You have a Izhevsk magazine also which is a nice bonus. Thanks for sharing.

The magazine is actually Tula

Nope it's Izhevsk. Yes it has a Tula star but it was numbered to a Izhevsk rifle in August 1941. Tula did't use the K prefix in 1941. Also, Factory No 74 numbered the mag 1, 2, or 3, then underlined it and then under that put the rifle serial number. Tula put the rifle serial number then .1, .2, or .3

Izhevsk
SVT 40 Izhevsk 40 (20).jpg

Tula
SVT 38 1940 1 (5).jpg

Nope it's Izhevsk. Yes it has a Tula star but it was numbered to a Izhevsk rifle in August 1941. Tula did't use the K prefix in 1941. Also, Factory No 74 numbered the mag 1, 2, or 3, then underlined it and then under that put the rifle serial number. Tula put the rifle serial number then .1, .2, or .3

Font is also a dead giveaway. Hard to mistake Factory No.74 font for anything else.

Military Rifle Journal
Back