Third Party Press

M1915 Bavarian EM Pickelhaube

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
I've had a few pickelhaube over the years and always traded, etc. Been wanting a nice EM M1915 for some time to decorate my office and found this one, all original in a decent size. The cockardes look mighty bright, but they are original and yellowed and crazed paint in person.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Nice,

Ham. I have a m15 bavarian as well. Along with a prussian and Baden.. I will post them when I get a chance. That is a nice one. I think mine is dated 1916.

Nice Pickelhaube Hambone!!!
:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting it.
In the near future I'll post my Pickelhaubes.

Cheers,
Peter

You have some nice early unit marked ones with character Peter. Maybe a Pickelhaube thread?

Nice Pickelhaube Craig, I'll have to go get mine and get some pics. It seems that us K98 guys really do have varied interests besides the 3rd Reich stuff. GR

Nice Pickelhaube Craig, I'll have to go get mine and get some pics. It seems that us K98 guys really do have varied interests besides the 3rd Reich stuff. GR

Hi George,

There is so much more to militaria collecting then just 3R!
My collecting intrests include: Napoleonic wars, the Waterloo campaigne, 1914, Pontifical zouaves, Belgian volunteers in Mexico in the 1860's,...etc, I even have a German sword blade from the late 16th century in my collection.
:biggrin1:

Cheers,
Peter

Here is my 1916 EM Pickelhaube. also has faint date/maker mark in dome. Ron

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 17
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 15
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 13
Hi George,

There is so much more to militaria collecting then just 3R!
My collecting intrests include: Napoleonic wars, the Waterloo campaigne, 1914, Pontifical zouaves, Belgian volunteers in Mexico in the 1860's,...etc, I even have a German sword blade from the late 16th century in my collection.
:biggrin1:

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree that their is more militaria to collect than just 3R. My interests also include Civil War, Indian Wars and old west. These are the only battlefields we can really see here our country is very young compared to yours. These are some pictures of my M1895 Prussian PH dated 1910 reissued twice two sets of battalion numbers two names in it and still all original. GR

Attachments

• DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00020.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00023.jpg
    DSC00023.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 24
Holy cow, George that's one of the nicest early unmessed with Prussians I've seen! Beautiful pickelhaube.

I've had a few pickelhaube over the years and always traded, etc. Been wanting a nice EM M1915 for some time to decorate my office and found this one, all original in a decent size. The cockardes look mighty bright, but they are original and yellowed and crazed paint in person.

Now that is really nice. I guess I'll have to add one to my want list. I have liked the prices on reproductions but they just don't look right to me, not to mention not having any history.

Where most of the pristine helmets came from. Certainly not the history of Peter U's helmet ;)

Friday Feb 7, 1919 THE STARS AND STRIPES newspaper, Page 1, Column 1:
"85,750 Shiny Ones on Way to America, Prussian Guards' Helmets will help sale of Liberty Bonds."

"The doughboy guards at Coblenz who kept the keys to the German warehouses where 85,750 Shiny Prussian Guards helmets were stacked are restored to good nature. They eat normally, and no longer dream of great helmet robbery mysteries. For the helmets are out of their custody at last and on their way back to the States. The warehouse keys arent't needed any longer. The helmets are to be handed out back home to buyers of bonds of the Fight Liberty Loan. Meanwhile, traders on the AEF souvenir bourse are eagerly watching the tape for the first transatlantic quotation on Helmets, pfd. Word of the 85,750 helmets in one buiding leaped back through the AEF almost before the advance guard of the Third Army settled in Coblenz. Mails from the rear areas of the AEF to the Army of Occupation grew unaccountably large. Every man in the A of O had from six to 60 friends whose latest letters always said after speaking pointedly of lugers and mausers and iron crosses: "And of course I am relying on you to get one of those 85,000 helmets for me. The pressure of visitors to the warehouse grew so strong that the chief salvage officer at Third Army Headquarters posted a big sign: No More Helmets Given Out."

Attachments

• DepotMarks_35.jpg
    DepotMarks_35.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That is a bit of usefull information Hambone!
Thanks for posting it.

It makes sense.

P

Very cool guys. I guess I am going to have to find a Prussian EM Pickelhaube as my grandfather was a Prussian EM. Always wanted one. Now I am insprired to find one.
Mike

Very cool guys. I guess I am going to have to find a Prussian EM Pickelhaube as my grandfather was a Prussian EM. Always wanted one. Now I am insprired to find one.
Mike

Succes, Mike!
:thumbsup:

Do you know to which regiment he belonged?

Cheers,
Peter

Peter,

I wish I did. I know he was from a small town south of Rastenburg and came through Ellis Island to the US in 1912 on a ship from Bremen at age 20. He returned in 1914-to fight. He ended up surviving the war. Upon his return to the US he was imprisoned in Canada for what we believe his military affiliation. He said it was a mistake. He ended up being a coal miner and had 7 children one of which was my mother. I will dig some more to see what I can find out. The military portrait I have was sent to a few WW1 uniform collectors to to try to identify it with no clear results. It is one of those convex oval portraits with paint touch up.

Mike

Ham, have you had your picklehaub XRFacts tested? Looks like a shamwow hat to me :moon::laugh::moon::laugh::facepalm:

Ham, have you had your picklehaub XRFacts tested? Looks like a shamwow hat to me :moon::laugh::moon::laugh::facepalm:

I get more accurate analysis from this fellow, and he's cheaper......

Attachments

• crystal_ball_LG.jpg
    crystal_ball_LG.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 7
Very nice lid... I've always wanted to pick one of these up, but never want to seperate the money from TR items.. Just waiting for a great deal to come along...

Military Rifle Journal
Back