Third Party Press

K98 Bolt Shroud Question

Interesting! Can you show the other markings on that part, if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's likely a process / lot / or inspection number, perhaps even an assembly number depending on who made it.

I have all matching dou 43 sn.2778d. On bolt sleeve is also "27". I thought it was the first two digits of serial number...... Only safety is MM.

Attachments

• mea.jpg
    mea.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 48
  • ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 47
  • afd.jpg
    afd.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 45
I have all matching dou 43 sn.2778d. On bolt sleeve is also "27". I thought it was the first two digits of serial number...... Only safety is MM.

Thank you David, I'm going to now have to check my dou.s for this! Looks like the same die, font, etc. If the OP shroud is a dou., then that certainly indicates process/lot/inspection stamp for dou.

The only other marking is this serial number and it is off of a very nice bcd43 that appears to match. May be a phony though....

Attachments

• IMG_6708.jpg
    IMG_6708.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 38
From my iPhone it looks like dou numbering though.

Agreed. I trying blowing it up large but it's not clear enough to see the leading edge detail. That's normally where the resurfacer gets it wrong IMO. From what I can see however it looks legit.

I have 3 "dou" matching rifles. (two '43s,and a '44)
The only one that has the mystery "27" is a dou43, serial 3697n. (I never noticed this before....interesting)

That's enough to establish that dou.43 used these shrouds. That is, IMHO, a process / inspection marking for a plant department or subcontractor responsible for this part.

So why is it on my bcd43 ????

It is possible that the collar is resurfaced and the numbers added are fake. Could be that the humper dies just coincidently look like dou font. We will know if you take good pics of the numbers on the bolt stem, the rear of the striker, the safety. I took this pic with my iphone and it is good enough to tell the story. Your pics are not good and only show one part of a bolt. Is this bolt part off of an all matching rifle? Are you sure? We need pics like these, which again, were taken on an old iphone 5S:

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 14
Well, it is supposed to be matching. I bought it in 2008 and the man I bought it from had owned it for almost 30 years. I will try to get a better pic as soon as I can...

Well, it is supposed to be matching. I bought it in 2008 and the man I bought it from had owned it for almost 30 years. I will try to get a better pic as soon as I can...

Several better pics will be helpful and will tell the story :thumbsup:

Here are a few..

Attachments

• IMG_6728.jpg
    IMG_6728.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6730.jpg
    IMG_6730.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6732.jpg
    IMG_6732.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6733.jpg
    IMG_6733.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 9
SSG, from my iPhone I believe the bolt is a pretty well done restamp with a known set of MO / MB set of dies which have been available for over a decade. The bolt collar may in fact be a dou, from that "27" stamp, but it's a polished and humped bolt collar. The work is to the higher end. These are my opinions and I give them regrettably based upon what I see.

What does polished and humped mean? I suspect the Same thing as far as the stamps but don't have much in the gun and it is a great shooter that looks even better..,

SSG, from my iPhone I believe the bolt is a pretty well done restamp with a known set of MO / MB set of dies which have been available for over a decade. The bolt collar may in fact be a dou, from that "27" stamp, but it's a polished and humped bolt collar. The work is to the higher end. These are my opinions and I give them regrettably based upon what I see.

I must also regrettably concur. I'm sure in hand you can see and feel where the metal removal begins on each side of that bolt collar. It's very easy to see this and the profile change from your new photos. That detail is virtually impossible to hide, despite the obviously higher quality fakery.

Military Rifle Journal
Back