Third Party Press

Hey! New to the German side of military surplus rifles.

EddieD25

Hey everyone! Totally new to the German rifles. I've been collecting Mosin's for a while now and decided it's time to move on to a different country. I've got a 91/30, 91/30 ex-sniper, and a Finnish M39. As much as I want to get my hands on a nice PU Mosin sniper, I think it's a good idea to move onto other things and I think a 98k would be a nice choice. I know almost nothing about them, their markings, history, etc. So I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum and learn a bit before I jump into something I am unfamiliar with. I actually have a 98k stock on the way that I bought off Classic for real cheap and was thinking about building, but I also wouldn't mind buying something that's already together haha. I've heard about the Mitchell's Mausers out there. What should I look for to avoid them? An all matching k98 would be nice, but probably are out of my price range? How much would something like that go for? I also would love a Russian capture. Maybe that sounds weird to you guys, but I find it a bit interesting. Even if the parts are mismatched it's still interesting to me to hold something that gone over to another country and seen some of the most incredible battles ever. It's the history that really interests me. I'd appreciate any information I can get from everyone and help pointing me in the right direction whether it's where to shop, what to look for, what prices I will be looking at, or maybe with help I will actually build a rifle. Thank you!

There is SO MUCH info just to answer the basic questions about the different K98's out there and their originality or prices. From a Russian Capture to a complete, matched bring back you're talking between $550- $1,600+, best thing to do is watch the discussion forum and soak up the info and chime in asking questions.

There is SO MUCH info just to answer the basic questions about the different K98's out there and their originality or prices. From a Russian Capture to a complete, matched bring back you're talking between $550- $1,600+, best thing to do is watch the discussion forum and soak up the info and chime in asking questions.

Well $550 doesn't sound too bad and I'd be happy to start out with a Russian capture. It definitely interests me. I do plan on watching the discussion forum and learning as much as I can! Thanks for the reply!

Welcome. Your best bet is to inquire here on the forum if someone has an R/C for sale possibly. Taking much less risk and buying from reliable and knowledgeable collectors.

No, it's not expensive and gets ones feet wet with the rifle. You can even find good, honest bring backs with a mismatch bolt for $850+ depending on condition and code. There were a bunch of different manufacturers of the K98 in WW2, some much rarer than others thus making them a bit more valuable. Just watch the discussions here, do some homework and you should be ok. At first run your purchase thoughts by us here. We are a helping community and will steer you through troubled waters. A lot of fraud and fake markings on k98's but we here are experts at calling out the BS.

Guys thanks a ton. Seems like I came to the right place. I appreciate the nice welcoming and appreciate help you are offering.

Lot of good folks here Eddie. The more new collectors in this hobby is what really keeps it alive and strong for the future. I will tell you before you spend a large amount of money on a nice K98k always do your research first. There are alot of fakes out there. Some are very poor and others can take advantage of a season collector.

If a nice K98k rifle turns up your way don't be afraid too take pictures and post them up here.

And welcome too the forum by the way.

Welcome aboard, Eddie! Thanks to the knowledgeable members and mods here, I was able to not only identify, but was made aware of two other examples of a rare '98. This was after attempting to learn about that rifle for nearly ten years on other forums and getting no information whatsoever that was even close to being factual. There's everything to be said for those who approach the subject of these rifles in an organized, scholarly fashion. Here, you won't find cyber-nazis whose egos far exceed their knowledge base.

do your homework read and re-read the threads here and buy the right books ( the expensive ones) remember collecting is no longer a poor mans hobby

there are two types of gun owners collectors and accumulators few collectors and millions of accumulators

and learn now do not buy reproduction crap and do not shoot collectibles

Thanks you guys! I was looking at the pictures on the thread you linked @Hambone. I'll definitely keep looking into them. Thanks for all the advice. I'm not looking to spend too much money on anything yet. I think a Russian capture might be a good option for me as of now. I'm not the wealthiest haha only just about to start my career as an aircraft mechanic in a few months. I'm sure through the years I will move on to bigger and better things like I'm beginning to do with the Mosin Nagants. Thanks again everyone. I feel very welcomed and confident with a bunch of knowledgeable collectors here.

Military Rifle Journal
Back