Third Party Press

1905 ambreg

Looks like a depot reworked Gew98. Can see the bolt numbers have been crossed out and a new set of numbers put on. Check your buttplate for a bigger number then the serial number on it their usually in the middle of it.

Looks like it still has the original barrel too thats a plus. Seldom see on earlier made rifles. Too think this rifle was almost 10 years old before WW1 broke out.

IMG_2161.jpg The guy I bought it from said it is all matching he said the bolt has ten numbers four of them match the gun . 18 is on the safety he said that is one of the numbers on the bolt is that right I can't find any information on a 1905 . That's the only pictures I have till I get it

Yes depots would cross out the old numbers on the replacement bolt and match it too the rifle. We call these wartime reworks more like combat warhorses too me. I myself own a 1904 Danzig as a wartime reworked depot piece as well.

I also don't believe many early Amberg made Gew98 rifle like this have been reported either. Did your rifle have any unit markings on the stock disc by chance?

Anyway great find.

Alright then. Still its a nice rifle and looks untouched too, lot of dust and grime on it.

Thats a good thing!

I didn't ask him I was scared he was talking about putting it on gunbroker . Whe I get it I will post pictures

This early is hard to find for Amberg, very low production; pre-war Amberg made piddly amounts each year and 1905 was no exception. Looks pretty honest, at least as far as the pictures goes. They are pretty useless for a real evaluation, but it looks like a typical wartime depot rework. Typically they would not match up inconsequential parts like bands and small parts, but the bolt body should always be re-numbered and this appears to be the case here. The small bolt parts are not typically re-numbered, but there are cases where they were. Anyway, it looks like it might have the original stock and barrel, if so a good pick up this early. Stock makes or breaks a rifles value, the bolt is a minor distraction if period done.

Little more can be said with these pictures, but we have our fingers crossed for you!

It would be wonderful if the stock matches. I'll be looking forward to more and better photos when you get this in hand. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

It's supposed to be in tomorrow if the guy will ever sent the 1907 danzig I will post pictures of it to.

The rifle looks damn nice for what it is, early Amberg's are not common and this one looks totally original (though depot re-numbered bolt, which is not a huge deal, - factory would probably double value, but they are so rarely seen that its rarely an issue). Of course it passed through a collection center/depot (Cologne, which seems to be one of the most active, or at least that examples have survived in larger numbers), the unit marking disk has the C/R which suggest this is not only original, but the side the unit marking would have been applied (meaning not likely flipped). Looks like there might just be grease and crud over the disk, perhaps with a close examination or gentle rubbing it might reveal a unit marking. This early it really should have one.

Looks like you did well on this one, at least the rifle is worth picking up if the price is reasonable...

That is a nice rifle and like Paul has stated very hard to find factory original. Personally I love to find rifles like this. When they're untouched and still have that old grime and grease on them to me makes it so much better. Means it hasn't been Bubba touched or abused.

Damn... Amberg's are often unit marked... I figured this early was a sure bet.

A very good price by the way.

Military Rifle Journal
Back