Third Party Press

Gunbroker?

Gunbroker is good if you know what you're looking at and know what you're willing to pay. There's quite a few sellers on there that have honest items, and quite a few sells that have dishonest items. No different than any other venue. You could always try a WTB ad here...

Agree with above. You are more likely to get a better example and for a better price from the forum here. Gunbroker can be a minefield for a beginning collector. My money would be on K98k Forum. Pretty smart guys here!!

+1 on the Gunbroker comments. Lot's of people have gotten beat buying fake rifles for 100 and 200% of what they're worth even if they were legit. Often these were sold by known names with tons of feedback.

Amen to the forum being the safest bet when buying a Mauser. There are some hucksters on Gunbroker who out of greed or ignorance sell bad items but there are also dealers who know their business and value their reputations. The latter tend to attract the highest bids but there's a lot of piece of mind in dealing with someone whose standing in the trade is a given. Usually, if any item remains at a low bid that's a warning sign. I've gotten lucky with sleepers but dealing with unknowns is always a gamble.

Good advice above. It's like any other auction. It's a minefield with treasure buried in it. If you don't have the knowledge or assistance of those who do you're likely not going to fare well.

..It's a minefield with treasure buried in it..

Sure is. I was going to reference the bnz43 you just snagged as the only bidder. Also a sweet G.24t at a great price IMHO. Another rifle that was a huge gamble (which ended up paying off) because of terrible photos and a bad return policy.

As you pointed out it's best to proceed with an abundance of caution.

Military Rifle Journal
Back