Third Party Press

MG42 German Automatics

timothy

This is a older IMA ATF approved dummy kit sold several yrs back before they went up in price it has a piece of rebar welded in receiver so the weight is more than a real one as far as I can tell this one is mostly if not all German Parts refinished and used by another country or the Bund. MP40 is one of the better model guns tried to photo a lot of the codes on it it is PJ marked on barrel shroud and flash hider and other parts receiver is a different make as biopod is like HVA or so maybe some of you machine guys can tell me butstock is the shark fin German type and is Waa marked and dated. timothy

Attachments

• 20170911_171313.jpg
    20170911_171313.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170911_171359.jpg
    20170911_171359.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170911_171413.jpg
    20170911_171413.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20170911_171436.jpg
    20170911_171436.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170911_171540.jpg
    20170911_171540.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170911_171618.jpg
    20170911_171618.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170911_171811.jpg
    20170911_171811.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170911_171824.jpg
    20170911_171824.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 81
Has the five wire wraps on it, that would usually mean wartime, as opposed to six-eight wraps for Yugo.
The stamp on the feed cover is post-war - I believe.

On a side-note, IMI do a lot of their own stamping and mix and matching, I bought and sold to them a few times in the day - now they are simply over priced and cater to newbies and neophyte collectors, who have knee-jerk reactions to pretty pictures and colorful stories. There is absolutely nothing on their site you cannot find a lot cheaper (and in unaltered condition) within one two minutes research.
However, if they bring more collectors into the fold, that is a good thing, I suppose.

Has the five wire wraps on it, that would usually mean wartime, as opposed to six-eight wraps for Yugo.

On a side-note, IMI do a lot of their own stamping and mix and matching, I bought and sold to them a few times in the day - now they are simply over priced and cater to newbies and neophyte collectors, who have knee-jerk reactions to pretty pictures and colorful stories. There is absolutely nothing on their site you cannot find a lot cheaper (and in unaltered condition) within one two minutes research.
However, if they bring more collectors into the fold, that is a good thing, I suppose.

I think you are right about them going down hill bought this after the dummy mp44 in 96 from them I wished I would have kept. Inside the feed cover I forgot to photo it is marked in several places of cof with the so called war eagles and same waa number on top feed cover I think cof was Eichorn and didn't they make mg parts along with edged weapons of course? timothy

Carl Eikhorn (COF factory code) made machine gun parts as a sub contractor, trigger, and lower pistol grip parts - for sure.

The MG42 site used to be quite active - but seems to have been dead for a while but here is a page on codes that is quite interesting - http://www.mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1830

Scroll down, one of the members made an excellent study of wartime codes and markings, all .PDF's with illustrations.

Last edited:
Thanks pitfighter found the receiver cra Maget Berlin was a large maker of the 42 must have been a earlier 43 make before they switched to the GH for Maget 1943 I liked that forum but can't seem to get on it I think there was a thread on the Maget recievers and this one was a early block one. Pistol grip on this one is cof marked by three waa even one on trigger. There is a large 1 and pj on barrel shroud and waa in a few places. These can sure get interesting on parts they were made from even this is from parts I read issued ones had a hodge podge of parts. timothy

Shame the stock has been ruined by the addition of those fantasy stamps!:facepalm:

I don't think they are fantasy stamps at all they were found after a postwar thick coat of black paint on it was removed dvr is Johan Froehlich who made holsters and mg slings etc he did make a few gun parts from what I can tell his main works were leder items but wood parts on side subcontract possibly some other small items can't find or read the waa it either starts with a 6 or 8 There is a picture one like it on a 42 in one of the Normandy meuseums in the old book D Day by Bernhard C Nally and Russ Prichard written for the 50 th anniversary of D Day. timothy

Last edited:

Oh, I see that we have the same gun, 1943 CRA. I did not know that about the wraps? Here are a few photos of my three stocks. One that has only two wraps came with my C&R 1943 dated, CRA, MG42 made by MAGNET. You can not see it in the photo, but it has a very light 3 letter code and a 44 date. The other two butt stocks are from a yugo parts kit. I refinished one and use it and other yugo parts when I shoot. The "PJ" marked grip came with a yugo parts kit, the other grip came with the C&R MG42. I bought the PJ grip to upgrade, is it correct for a 43 CRA? I am looking for an original stock in better condition. I am assuming that my 44 dated stock is a replacement? What does right look like?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 20
Nice items I learned a lot from the MG42 forum but can't get on it anymore don't know what's going on others have said the same what the people said over there was as Pitfighter says on the wire wraps 5 for German ww2 and 6 8 are Yugo wraps your picture two really shows the difference in the German and Yugo stocks they had a similar picture the German stands out more taller and referred to a sharkfin look the Yugo are shorter and described as a stubby Elphant foot also learned the solid band wrap was a later war stock or often can be a armorers replacement like the 44 mark in yours they said most stocks are dated and waa like a k98 stock is proffed sans the date. According to them cra Maget was biggest supplier followed by pj which I think they said were Styer products the barrel shroud on mine is pj 1 waa marked course it is a parts gun these were assembled with different subcontractor part after Pitfighter talked about the cof Eickhorn parts I checked the pistol grip and it was cof. I have only seen one real live fire from a class 3 dealer years ago and he pointed out the various subcontractor parts on it. They pointed out German stocks are only in natural oiled wood there were some early black bakelite any paint to them is postwar this one had heavy black paint been there for years probably Yugo use as it has the horizontal ser number I removed it and found all the markings. timothy

Oh, I see that we have the same gun, 1943 CRA. I did not know that about the wraps? Here are a few photos of my three stocks. One that has only two wraps came with my C&R 1943 dated, CRA, MG42 made by MAGNET. You can not see it in the photo, but it has a very light 3 letter code and a 44 date. The other two butt stocks are from a yugo parts kit. I refinished one and use it and other yugo parts when I shoot. The "PJ" marked grip came with a yugo parts kit, the other grip came with the C&R MG42. I bought the PJ grip to upgrade, is it correct for a 43 CRA? I am looking for an original stock in better condition. I am assuming that my 44 dated stock is a replacement? What does right look like?

As Tim says, those are some great images to examine the difference in shape between the original WW2 stock and the later Yugo "club-foot" style stock, thanks for posting.

Are you able to swap between the Yugo and wartime stocks?

I have a Yugo set-up, and we cannot fit an original WW2 stock onto the Yugo "recoil-spring-buffer" - wrong size - so we had our 07 do some wood working and stamping to make the Yugo stock appear as "German" as possible for film-work.

Real shame the MG42 site is not in use - some really valuable info. there.

Well, I am on the MG42 Forum all the time. I post d and got a reply yesterday.

On the stocks, I had the original stock and buffer spring and those from the two parts kits and not all combinations worked. The middle light stock is what I use, it is from a yugo parts kit and should not fit on the original buffer, but it did. The black painted stock did not. If I want to use the black stock, I have to use the buffer that came with it. I suspect that there are sometimes German parts mixed in.

Well, I am on the MG42 Forum all the time. I post d and got a reply yesterday.

On the stocks, I had the original stock and buffer spring and those from the two parts kits and not all combinations worked. The middle light stock is what I use, it is from a yugo parts kit and should not fit on the original buffer, but it did. The black painted stock did not. If I want to use the black stock, I have to use the buffer that came with it. I suspect that there are sometimes German parts mixed in.

Glad to hear its still going guess I try to send the admins a msg again. timothy

Military Rifle Journal
Back