Third Party Press

BCD 4 Phosphate SKM

b32dominator

Here is my newest addition, BCD 4 Phosphate in a semi-kriegs model stock. I like that it has a real "been there, done that" look to it. The bolt is none matching which is a drawback. I'd be interested in finding a Astra marked late war complete bolt for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 96
Sauer subcontracted barrel too. Of course Gustloff always was more of a factory assembler place then an actually maker. My oplioion the most interesting maker of rifles of subcontracted parts. There is just so many different variants of parts with them.

Nice looking gun. Its actually too early for the semi kriegsmodell stock, this one is from the first run and the skm stocks don't really show up until about 60,000. Still a neat rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking gun. Its actually too early for the semi kriegsmodell stock, this one is from the first run and the skm stocks don't really show up until about 60,000. Still a neat rifle.

That's a bummer, I used the survey from this sight and there were a few reports of semi-kriegs around mynserial range. Guess you win some and lose some. I'm not in it that much on it, so not to big of a deal.

Guess I should have bought my copy of Kriegsmodel before I bought it instead of after.

You can't go just by serial, the firing proof is different on early and late series. Also, the highest reported rifles are in the 15,000 range which is probably what you saw, but those rifles all lack the final acceptance in top. I'll try to update the thread you used to be more clear in that. Can you show me which survey you used?

Here's the good part, the correct stock is easy to find and everything else about the rifle is correct. You should be pleased if you are in it for the price of the average RC!

Yes you should be that is a nice rifle! Don't down yourself too hard on it. By the way show the right side of the receiver this may have been a subcontracted receiver as well.

Had a minor stroke when I saw your rifle!! Here is a rifle 11 away from yours. :)

Sauer barrel just like yours. Finding a proper "c" marked stock for yours will not be impossible! You are still WAY ahead investment wise, and your rifle looks to be in very nice condition. If you strip it down further, please do show us pics of all the markings you can find!! Trigger, trigger guard, etc.

ea715c91c2eb7e73bf3b482c3f622bb6.png

Note the similarity in worn firing proofs. Lot code "df" on your gun and "dq" on mine if I see yours right.

5d10279aa08f853716d272a3a6079f9b.png
93db8647dc6a7d970f5501e24e69d694.png

Best I could get in side with my cell phone.

M1903a3 I had seen your rifle when I was resesrching this purchase. I couldn't believe how close they were. Here are the rest of the marking you inquired about. The bolt release has no markings nor does the front sight and bands. The bayonet lug has a "1" for Astra and the stock has faint proofs in the barrel channel (but that's kind of a mute point now).

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 25
A couple of interesting marking variations here. Mine has "M" on the receiver bottom and yours a "P", both have that odd and previously seen part circle too. I'm convinced it must be a 6 or something that was almost always stamped sloppily, or a bad stamp. Also yours has a clear "T" on the tang, hard to say what mine is!! Also note the other letters near the screw hole on my gun's receiver. Does yours have any there?
6ca1ff386b697a53a06b02ca7578126b.png
796c6d8fb0f700da3c18f43264d4c5a1.png
2e7a643b92a9f68b48e1f10c8ca78579.png
e140865c573cef663efb1edd7c91c839.png

Otherwise, our entire rear sight components are exactly alike, trigger and sear exactly alike too. SVW TG on mine, "e" Köhler bayonet lug. It's fun to compare them, these are closer than I often see two guns being.

M1903a3 I had seen your rifle when I was resesrching this purchase. I couldn't believe how close they were. Here are the rest of the marking you inquired about. The bolt release has no markings nor does the front sight and bands. The bayonet lug has a "1" for Astra and the stock has faint proofs in the barrel channel (but that's kind of a mute point now).

Your stock looks to have a "c" in the right place, so it's the right maker but just too late. Did you by chance take off the butt plate to look for a date code? Also what are the rest of the markings on the stock, internal and external. A date code example is provided below, if yours IS dated I would be curious to see what the date IS.

147847a585312badccf3e2e04abba2e8.png

That's Day of the week - week of the year - last two digits of the year, then the "Br" is probably a blank supplier code. Yours might or might not have anything but it's a thought.

The only marking on mine near the screw hole is the "W" as on your. I believe your tang marking it also a "T" as the stamps look too similar. The sear appears to be stamped with an "0" or Zero, hard to make out. The barrel channel has a faint e/18 I believe, it's hard to make out. I have to taken the buttplate off yet as it is stuck on pretty tight and didn't want to damage. But now I'll have to in order to confirm the date. The handguard is unmarked.

Here is the barrel channel markings and trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
What's the letter on the sear? I can't quite make it out.

They are both "o" which I think is Madix but I'm at work so I'll look it up when I get home. The "e" is of course Köhler sewing machine factory. Our triggers and sears are practically identical. Here is mine:
d62431e8e1b9b736811615760ed44f33.jpg

The only marking on mine near the screw hole is the "W" as on your. I believe your tang marking it also a "T" as the stamps look too similar. The sear appears to be stamped with an "0" or Zero, hard to make out. The barrel channel has a faint e/18 I believe, it's hard to make out. I have to taken the buttplate off yet as it is stuck on pretty tight and didn't want to damage. But now I'll have to in order to confirm the date. The handguard is unmarked.

Here is the barrel channel markings and trigger.

Here is the same marking in the stock channel of my rifle. To be clear, this stock was purchased SEPARATELY from the rifle and put on, when I got the rifle it had a Czech stock on it. I knew exactly what it needed though and found one on gunbroker. It's actually very close to the correct date range on other known intact all original bcd4 guns, so ideally a stock for your rifle should be somewhere near October 1944. In other words, my stock would be perfect for your rifle OR mine. Just an FYI. If you are looking I will keep my eyes peeled for you also. :)

10d16c3306c84adeea147c1207dc3c2e.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back