Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stock color question

IMO, I like the orig poster's stock as is. I would not strip the wood... as I see no varnish topcoat. I have/had a pretty worn duv (both G43/ and K98) with similar coloration. The only thing I see that I questions is the color (condition) of the inlet for the sling keeper as shown and whether it had something added....

I do not have pics of the G.43, but here are a few of the 98, by duv in 1942
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Looks pretty darn close to the G.43 here in question.

I have a buddy who has put tung oil on both '98 and G/K 43 laminate stocks for decades to keep them from drying out. Fortunately, he has the sense not to sand them first.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorps View Post
    I have a buddy who has put tung oil on both '98 and G/K 43 laminate stocks for decades to keep them from drying out. Fortunately, he has the sense not to sand them first.
    Then he is altering/changing the original finish. Are these all matching examples? If so he would be far better off using a product like Howard Feed & Wax.
    It will not alter the original Finish. If most of the original finish has been destroyed (like on a RC) I see no problem using Tung Oil/BLO. Actually a Pure BLO would be closer to what the Germans used on their stocks.
    Last edited by Model; 09-25-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    HDH.

I'm hardly advocating the practice but I do run across his handiwork occasionally.

late to thread here is my 1.5cent

OP your stock is unsanded. Yes late war k43's were mostly unfinished. here are two samples. first duv 44 made 8/44 reddish red glue with original ?factory or field top coat, just like your
    second is late ac45 made late 3/45 or early week April.