Third Party Press

Stock color question

IMO, I like the orig poster's stock as is. I would not strip the wood... as I see no varnish topcoat. I have/had a pretty worn duv (both G43/ and K98) with similar coloration. The only thing I see that I questions is the color (condition) of the inlet for the sling keeper as shown and whether it had something added....

I do not have pics of the G.43, but here are a few of the 98, by duv in 1942

Attachments

• duv09.jpg
    duv09.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 40
  • duv24.jpg
    duv24.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 47
  • duv28.jpg
    duv28.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 46
I have a buddy who has put tung oil on both '98 and G/K 43 laminate stocks for decades to keep them from drying out. Fortunately, he has the sense not to sand them first.

I have a buddy who has put tung oil on both '98 and G/K 43 laminate stocks for decades to keep them from drying out. Fortunately, he has the sense not to sand them first.

Then he is altering/changing the original finish. Are these all matching examples? If so he would be far better off using a product like Howard Feed & Wax.
It will not alter the original Finish. If most of the original finish has been destroyed (like on a RC) I see no problem using Tung Oil/BLO. Actually a Pure BLO would be closer to what the Germans used on their stocks.

Last edited:
late to thread here is my 1.5cent

OP your stock is unsanded. Yes late war k43's were mostly unfinished. here are two samples. first duv 44 made 8/44 reddish red glue with original ?factory or field top coat, just like your
second is late ac45 made late 3/45 or early week April.

Military Rifle Journal
Back