Third Party Press

MG basket- repaint, right?

SamDunford

I just got this basket off eBay and the paint looked correct and green in the photos provided but then I opened the box and it's a tad different. The plus side is the price was right regardless. I am 99.9% sure this has been repainted but just Incase am asking you guys's opinions before I paint it myself....
Here's some photos
IMG_7694.JPGIMG_7695.JPGIMG_7698.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The color looks very West German to me.

Does it have a date or maker mark on the top lid - ?

Won't tell you if the paint is original but goes a long way to telling whether the drum is.

I like the painted "belt" direction arrow you sometimes find inside the originals.

Those arrows are cool... Never had one that color and Westen Deutschland works for me. As Pit pointed out, markings will help a lot. Three of my originals are painted black and a few Yugo green.

Thanks guys I'm going to pinpoint where the markings usually are with some paint thinner and a qtip after work and will let you know. I agree with the west German color

Thanks guys I'm going to pinpoint where the markings usually are with some paint thinner and a qtip after work and will let you know. I agree with the west German color

I would rather say it's Yugoslavian than West German - unless painted later, even if it's not the 'typical' Yugo light green. What is for certain though is that it was in Yugo hands, note the "BK" and "K" stamps to the locking latch... as such it could very likely be a postwar M53 drum and as such have no markings. Let us know how you get on with stripping it.

IMG_7783.JPGIMG_7772.JPG
Decided to repaint because it's definitely post war.. Happy with the results

Rule of thumb - Originals are never green! Only feldgrau (pre mid-1943) or dunkelgelb thereafter.

Thanks for pointing that out as I'd forgotten. I always went with the markings and my black ones have both original colors underneath between the three of them. Shame they're repainted.

I would rather say it's Yugoslavian than West German - unless painted later, even if it's not the 'typical' Yugo light green. What is for certain though is that it was in Yugo hands, note the "BK" and "K" stamps to the locking latch... as such it could very likely be a postwar M53 drum and as such have no markings. Let us know how you get on with stripping it.

Good eye! I didn't look that closely.. matches the stamps on my Yugo apple green drums

Military Rifle Journal
Back