Third Party Press

Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf 1917 Gew98

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Picked this rifle up from a good collector friend of mine last weekend at NGD. He bought this piece many years ago and being I collect German WW1 Imperial he thought this piece would better suit me. When he first told me about it, he just said he had a Gew98 for sale didn't tell what maker till later. I was hoping it would be a Kornbusch, but I was in the market for a nice Mauser made Gew98 rifle. Plus I think this year is interesting and its scarce too for wartime year. It also falls into the n block. The same letter block that known Mauser produced Gew98 sniper rifles were made.

Anyway the rifle is all matching and in good condition. Looks alot better after I cleaned her up she was pretty dirty. The only bad I would have too say is the stock has some condition issues on the inside. Evidence of cracks around the trigger-guard area but I not going too be shooting this rifle so no big deal too me. Outside condition the stock is nice for a birch made stock prefer the walnut type though. But I think this stock is nice for what it is. Only thing else I may do is take the buttplate off for a dip in kroil oil or the sonic cleaner. Plus find a matching cleaning rod for it.

So far this makes five Gew98 rifles for me now I don't think I'm slowing down either! Also came home with an interesting sawback bayonet as well. Bayonet is in nice shape but has no date on the blade. Came with an original frog as well in fair condition.

Data sheet posted for your records as well Paul. Enjoy the pictures.

Maker: Waffenfabrik Mauser A-G Oberndorf A/N 1917

Receiver: 4220n
Barrel: 4220n B.S 856
Front sight: 20
Rear sight: 20
Sight Slider: 20
Ejector box: 20
Trigger Sear: 20
Front barrel band: 20
Rear barrel band: 20
Trigger guard: 4220
Trigger guard screws: 20
Floor plate: 20
Follower: 20
Stock: 4220
Hand guard: 4220
Buttplate: 4220
Bayonet Lug: 20
Cleaning rod: Missing
Bolt body: 4220n
Extractor: 20
Safely: 20
Cocking piece: 20
Bolt Sleeve: 20
Firing pin: 20

058.jpg 056.jpg 057.jpg

060.jpg 055.jpg 046.jpg

050.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg

026.JPG 038.jpg 011.jpg

012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg

Nice pick up! I love the stock variations of rifle collecting from the imperial era. I understand your preference for a Walnut stock over a Beech one, but am in love with the color this Beech one has. It has a nice honey color, mixed with handling wear and dirt. :thumbsup:

Thank for sharing it with us!

Joe

Thanks, and finding Gew98 still covered in dirt and grime is how I like them! That way you know they have been left alone. Its shame how many nice ones have been ruined over the years. This one cleaned up quite nice that trigger guard group was nasty. It was covered in alot of surface rust and old dirt and grease. That Ballistol oil works wonders on cleaning these fine weapons.

Now if only I could find that darn Kornbusch rifle for my collection!

Great rifle!
Very hard to find a Mauser 1917 or 1918 in original imperial configuration with no signs of Turk or interwar use.
And it is an n-block rifle. Must have been a poor shooter, since all the good shooters from the n-block were converted into sniper rifles! :happy0180:
Congratulations!
Thanks for showing
Wolfgang

A very nice rifle as others have stated, this one I had recorded earlier, a auction from Oct/09 which Larry was the seller. Back then his pictures weren't as good, but the condition looked worse then (bad quality pictures tend to make problems look worse..). So you did a good job cleaning it up a bit!

Little more to add other than this is a tough rifle to find fully matching, though that is true of most Imperial rifles outside of 1917 (1917 dated rifles , matching ones, tend to be easier to find than other war years), but Mauser is tough primarily because as stated so many went to Turkey. (Mauser was the second largest producer in 1917, well behind Danzig, who made a gazillion - so huge numbers were made, just survival rates are rather low outside of the Turks that were imported some decades ago..)

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really think this rifle is neat how it could have been tested for accuracy too be a sniper rifle. I guess it wasn't good enough or was passed over. Who knows, still neat I think for that connection too those rifles.

And Paul was there anything I missed in the pictures or didn't cover in my data sheet? If so please let me know.

Jordan, I think you got what I needed, - LR, RR, BC, stock acceptance is the main stuff. Most of the rest doesn't trend well and sub-contracting was less common in the Imperial era. Though the arsenals did supply key components like TG's and such, which is probably why acceptance patterns are full of discrepancies.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really think this rifle is neat how it could have been tested for accuracy too be a sniper rifle. I guess it wasn't good enough or was passed over. Who knows, still neat I think for that connection too those rifles.

And Paul was there anything I missed in the pictures or didn't cover in my data sheet? If so please let me know.

Good glad I was able too cover everything for you. What did you think of the sawback bayonet by the way? Has no date on it but I do know the seller I got it from bought back in the 60s. As of now he's selling off all of his Imperial items getting close too 80 and he has too much. I picked this sawback out of his case being it had the nicest blade and scabbard.

And I blame you and Mike for making me into a Gew98 junker haha! I thought the addicted would stop at one now I have five. And I still want a couple more!

Now if I could just find that darn Kornbusch! Almost three years of searching now.

Addictions are due to a weak will, - deep down you "really" wanted to become addicted...!

The Mundlous sawback is fairly tough to find, all (Mundlos sawbacks) I believe are undated, though non-sawabcks are known dated, 1917 mostly I think. Mundlos is best known finishing others blanks, usually they have other firms names on them, but apparently not the sawbacks.

Of course Mundlos is better known for their WWII production, cleaning kits and bayonets. They also made sewing machines... the firm was founded in 1863.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 24
Addictions are due to a weak will, - deep down you "really" wanted to become addicted...!

The Mundlous sawback is fairly tough to find, all (Mundlos sawbacks) I believe are undated, though non-sawabcks are known dated, 1917 mostly I think. Mundlos is best known finishing others blanks, usually they have other firms names on them, but apparently not the sawbacks.

Of course Mundlos is better known for their WWII production, cleaning kits and bayonets. They also made sewing machines... the firm was founded in 1863.

Oh yeah of course thats the reason! It doesn't help you provided great info and research Paul, Cyprus provided great pictures, and Mike provided my parts and lids too complete my Gew98 rifles!

For what ever reason you all have a claim in my addiction! But you know what you have been great hope I can return the favor somehow. Maybe I can buy the first round at the next forum gathering for us Imperial collectors! We all know that Mausers and beer is unquestionably German.

And thanks for the data on the sawback Paul glad I was able too pick up a rather uncommon made one. Will say this has been a very good year for Imperial items for me.

لدي هذا السلاح القديم في السعودية وهو نادر جدا

Attachments

• DD30EA12-E0E3-4AAE-AB28-727E5D997CD7.jpeg
    DD30EA12-E0E3-4AAE-AB28-727E5D997CD7.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 92D2B50F-D218-47BF-B120-BBCEAC6B1CA9.jpeg
    92D2B50F-D218-47BF-B120-BBCEAC6B1CA9.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2C8EDA0C-6724-4EFB-B1A8-0E358F058A4F.jpeg
    2C8EDA0C-6724-4EFB-B1A8-0E358F058A4F.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 94F65B99-B313-49BD-8F67-317AAEBAA285.jpeg
    94F65B99-B313-49BD-8F67-317AAEBAA285.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 18
  • C855BA0B-F336-482F-B9F6-2AED6C5251F3.jpeg
    C855BA0B-F336-482F-B9F6-2AED6C5251F3.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 31314BE3-8603-4871-80C7-846F9794D736.jpeg
    31314BE3-8603-4871-80C7-846F9794D736.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7F284519-2825-4410-BB77-DE38CDF50CF7.jpeg
    7F284519-2825-4410-BB77-DE38CDF50CF7.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 17
Glad to see another post here, this is a range where Turkish used WMO (Mauser) are extremely common, - this one looks Turk re-barreled and has seen considerable service. More pictures (right side receiver & barrel markings under stock) would be more revealing, but WMO is so consistent and this is not the factory barrel I doubt any revelations would be uncovered...

Hopefully Musaef understands English and will continue his presence, someone with familiarity of Turkish military history (Greco-Turkish war and general violence and chaos that was created by the incredible stupidity of the Entente - England, France and Italy especially) would be good to hear another perspective (as it relates to the use and context of these rifles service after the war).

Military Rifle Journal
Back