Third Party Press

Hitler Youth conversion?

Seymore

First post. I found a k98 at my LGS. The owner said he got it with a group of bring backs he bought from a vet's family. It has the Erma .22 conversion kit installed. The story was that a Hitler youth would train with this gun from a youth to an adult. When he was an adult they would remove the kit and he would have been familiar with this gun his whole life. Have you guys ever heard of this type of story? It does not have Nazi proof marks. I kind of think it is post war. What do you think. Thanks in advance, your opinion is very valued.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 93
Someone's imagination ran wild on that story. It simply did not transpire that way. Inserts were rarely, if indeed ever, used in youth training in the earlier days, and the practice of retaining one assigned to an individual to be used later without the insert is REALLY stretching the imagination. It does seem to be an interesting example of a Standard Modell, though, and thanks for sharing the photos of it!
Steve

the items are what they are. The story is making these items sound waaaay to expensive.. lol

German youth could have handled this rifle for sure and even US youth. Basically anyone who picked up the rifle.. :facepalm:

My understanding is that the army used the inserts and the paramilitary organizations like the Hitler Youth used the training rifles. Missing parts from the Banner Model and missing parts from the .22 cal insert would affect both pieces negatively. If I was able to pick it up at a reasonable price I would buy it just to shoot it.

Would a K98 have acceptance stamps on it? I'm posting a couple of more pictures that I have of some of the numbers. Do you think it is a postwar or prewar model? It still confuses me. By the way the asking price is $2400. I wish I had a picture of the sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_1139 2.jpg
    IMG_1139 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 11
The Standard Modell was a pre-war, pre-K98k design. That floor plate appears to have been adapted later by a rather unskilled owner. For my advice, at that price (and with the story they were trying to sell you) I would drop it faster than a hot iron rivet.
Steve

Nothing is complete which affects the price. The standard model nor the .22 cal insert. That floor plate looks homemade. The value of what you have there is not worth anything close to $2,400.00.

It was bought in a WWII vet's bring back collection. Most of the bring back captured pistols were dated 1945. There were some other rifles and shotguns that were "war booty" also in the set.

Military Rifle Journal
Back