Third Party Press

Opinions asked on 15rounds 8x57 1936

Bizar

Someone is offering me this box. The label is uv-tested. According to the seller it doesn't light up.
Is this box of ammo a correct one?
6628202.1494468065.jpg6628202.967545252.jpg6628202.737654172.jpg6628202.662318356.jpg

No, It`s not.
A wel known made copy.
These boxes are offered on every gun related internet sites over the last
years.

If you look at picture #1 you can see a number 5 printed on the front of the box.
Yugo boxes were stamped this way.

I can give you an example from an other fake Label, made the same way.

Rgds

Attachments

• Fake 12.jpg
    Fake 12.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 82
The label is uv-tested.

UV test means nothing. You can buy old books made in the 1940's at any yard sale or flea market for $1.00, remove the blank pages at the beginning and the end of the book, and Voila!, there you have two blank sheets of non-UV "labels" waiting to be printed, turning a worthless post war Yugo box into a WW2 "collectible".

If you look at picture #1 you can see a number 5 printed on the front of the box.
Yugo boxes were stamped this way.

I can give you an example from an other fake Label, made the same way

Rgds

To be honest, i didn't noticed the number 5 before you said it was there.

UV test means nothing. You can buy old books made in the 1940's at any yard sale or flea market for $1.00, remove the blank pages at the beginning and the end of the book, and Voila!, there you have two blank sheets of non-UV "labels" waiting to be printed, turning a worthless post war Yugo box into a WW2 "collectible".

I know this trick, but it is impossible to check the printingprocess when it is an online auction. When you have it in hands you can use a usb-microscope.

@everybody: thanks a lot for your opinions and good advice. Another thing i've learned...

A good indicator for the falsely is also the WaA 815 stamp in the base of the box.
This stamp was mainly used during WW2 by inspectors working by Steyr in Austria.
Steyr did not make any ammunition.
This is all done to upgrade the box for getting a higher price.

I think some of the interested bidders reading this forum.
With 13 day’s to go the price is still €3.00, about $3.50 for the box. :biggrin1:

Keep you informed.

Rgds
Dutch

Last edited:
Label is also wrong

A Belgian cartridge-collector told me this:
- It must be s.S., the last point after s.S is missing.
- The word "Unbekantt" is wriiten with a capital letter in this case it should be without.

A Belgian cartridge-collector told me this:
- It must be s.S., the last point after s.S is missing.
- The word "Unbekantt" is wriiten with a capital letter in this case it should be without.

Correct,

It is written now, but we must be carful not to give to many hints to a person who could also read this forum.

This is the way how it is written correctly.

Attachments

• unbekannt_sS_10.JPG
    unbekannt_sS_10.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 45
Well, eGun in Germany took there responsibility and take the item out of there auction.
Last price was €37 about $42. US

Rgds

With all the boxed 8mm available at shows, with very little selling, I am surprised they bother faking the boxes.

Just a question from a newbie.... do people get this old ammo for collectors purposes or to actually shoot? I would think people would not want to shoot this old stuff when 8mm is still readily available (yeah, its not always cheap, but it's out there). I'd rather buy brand new rounds than fire old, possibly corrosive ammo.

With all the boxed 8mm available at shows, with very little selling, I am surprised they bother faking the boxes.

There are boxes and boxes.
Some of them are sold for $15-$40 depending of the bullet type.
There are also a couple of boxes who have a value from a couple of hundred $US.

The same is happening by single cartridges. Because some “collectors” are willing to pay a lot of money, some people are serving the market.
If you find a scare item I will advice you to show it here in the forum.
A lot of skill is available here.

I am not sure what you are saying. I have a very large collection of boxed 8mm ammo; from common to rare. I have been collecting it for almost 30 years. I go to between 20-25 shows a year (even Kassel) and see boxed (most of it the common rounds) ammo at every show. Because I see it so often, I don't understand why they are faking the boxes, since the vast majority of original boxed ammo I see at shows does not sell.

A collector is always try to find something special.
I would like to give you an example. It is a 7,9x33 box label who was offered on an auction.
The modern technology makes it possible.

The left is the original Label, the right :googlie

Attachments

• Label1  (1).jpg
    Label1 (1).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Label1  (2).jpg
    Label1 (2).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 27
I am not sure what you are saying. I have a very large collection of boxed 8mm ammo; from common to rare. I have been collecting it for almost 30 years. I go to between 20-25 shows a year (even Kassel) and see boxed (most of it the common rounds) ammo at every show. Because I see it so often, I don't understand why they are faking the boxes, since the vast majority of original boxed ammo I see at shows does not sell.

OK, you are a collector with experience.

Would you or a newbie buy this box?

Attachments

• ex5.JPG
    ex5.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 30

Military Rifle Journal
Back