Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID Help on Gew 98 rebuild

Default Got the rifle apart

I was able to take the rifle apart and here are pictures of the stock, barrel, and receiver. It doesn't have an amberg barrel, but appears to be WWI era with imperial fireproof and acceptance marks. Also, it has the "0" serial code by the slide rail on the receiver. Lastly, I Discovered a "P" marking on the stock behind the semi pistol grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

An Imperial barrel for sure, so cut down... that it lacks a interwar or nazi FP means it can't be period work... too bad that.

Anyway, someone did good work restoring it, or converting it, - this work isn't necessarily nefarious, there appears to be no, or at least little, attempt to pass it off as a "nazi" rework or conversion. The serial on the barrel is pretty good if recent, - hard to say either way, the barrel acceptance seems to indicate DWM production (1915), which would rule out period work if true (commercial firms did not "rework" rifles, - rifles could and did pass through arsenals though), but there is a lot still unknown about inspectors and how they moved around.

I suppose it is possible the Amberg/17 made it to a collection center or repair shop that had already scrapped a DWM/15 and reutilized the barrel, but if so it should have been re-proofed. It seems to only have one FP, which ultimately kills any possibility of German work.

All speculation of course!

It's still somewhat of a mystery but thanks for all the info and help