Third Party Press

Volume II Errata and Misc.

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Guys I will be managing a printable PDF file here for corrections and revisions to any data, images, or descriptions in Volumes IIa and IIb.
We will not be micro-managing data but if the data or description needs updated than we will do so.

Again, thanks again for your support.

Document moved to the lead in post on 10/21/2017.

Attachments

• corrections Volume II.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Is there a similar pdf for the other volumes? If so, I'm not bright enough to find it.. Which is entirely possible.

Current thread

The corrections are spread out so once everything is stabilized on VII, will work one up for the other volumes.
I know several items need to be update in both VI and VIII.

The corrections are spread out so once everything is stabilized on VII, will work one up for the other volumes.
I know several items need to be update in both VI and VIII.

I am assuming VI,VII, and VIII are typos. OR, If you guys are planning volumes 6,7, and 8:faint::jaw:.... Count me in for them all :thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!

Bill

That's "Volume I" etc. we're done with books!

You should see all the cool documents I got from Jon Speed on Beutewaffen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Error on page 548

File has been moved to lead in post.
It is in PDF format and can be printed.

B.

Last edited:
Dang proofreaders. Oh wait.... I'm one. I think the errata section will focus on incorrect facts and ignore the spelling/punctuation errors.

Image error in the MO section of IIa page 235. You talk about my rifle serial number 53637i but show a picture of a different rifle with a CAD scope.

Errata

Yes keep it to facts please...

BTW, I did not include all of the proofreader comments based on style and wording.

B.

I was a proofreader. :facepalm:

Lttle error in the Mauser Berlin section of Volume IIa with ar 41 Sn 3947i.

Page 405: "This K98k ‘ar 41’ code, serial number 3947i was produced later in 1941 and was issued to the Heer."
Page 406: "E/M"
Page 428: "Stock Laminate E/H (Heer)"

I think the error is on page 406, there should be "E/H". In this serial number range are usually Heer rifles, no Kriegsmarine.

Little error in the Mauser Berlin section of Volume IIa with ar 42 Sn 2792a.

Page 406: "Barrel Code ch 6 14 (E)"

The correct barrel code is " ch 6 41 (E)".

Volume IIa Page 62:

Picture Description: Steyr produced VK98, first variation, serial number 866

The rifle on the picture shows serial number 396

Little Error...

Volume IIb Page 621:

Scope can maker code is jvb ( Wessel & Müller, Luckenwalde)

In the text over the Scope can picture is the wrong code "jvd"

Volume IIb, page 576

"One rifle Steyr had previously manufactured was a carbine for Chile called the Steyr-Solothurn M12/34. This wasa carbine version of the Steyr Model 12 rifle produced for Chile prior to WW1 in 7 mm Mauser."

The M12/34 was manufactured for Colombia, not for Chile. And it was not a carbine version of the pre-WW1 Steyr M1912 rifle. It could be called an evolution of the M1912, but they actually share just the large ring Mauser 98 action.

Volume IIb, page 576

"One rifle Steyr had previously manufactured was a carbine for Chile called the Steyr-Solothurn M12/34. This wasa carbine version of the Steyr Model 12 rifle produced for Chile prior to WW1 in 7 mm Mauser."

The M12/34 was manufactured for Colombia, not for Chile. And it was not a carbine version of the pre-WW1 Steyr M1912 rifle. It could be called an evolution of the M1912, but they actually share just the large ring Mauser 98 action.

Thank you for the correction. We will probably do a cumulative errata in the addendum.

Tough to argue if the M.12/34 was a successor of the M.1912 rifles, or if it had been a successor of the M.15 or M.17 or M.17/30 rifle. Maybe a bit of everything. Remember there were variants of the M 34 rifle with the Mannlicher-Schönauer Magazine, as well as Mauser box magazine. Colombia was ONE customer, but they of course tried to sell that rifle to anyone interested.

Going from the M. 12/34 and M. 17/30, I'd say that the naming convention at Steyr was M. "year the action was introduced at Steyr"/"year the particular model was introduced". Therefore, an M. 12/34 is a rifle using the large ring Mauser 98 action with a standard fixed magazine, which was first introduced at Steyr in 1912, in a variant/version introduced in 1934. The same would go for the M. 17/30, which would be a M1917 type large ring Mauser 98 action with a Mannlicher clip magazine in a version introduced in 1930.

Had they produced a military carbine with a Mannlicher-Schönauer type action and rotary magazine in 8x57 IS in 1930, I guess it would have been a M. 15/30. Had they produced it in 6.5 Mannlicher-Schönauer, it would have most likely been a M. 1903/30. But that is just a speculation on my part.

And I of course agree that the M. 12/34 was not introduced specifically for Colombia. The fact that in the end it has only been sold there had nothing to do with Steyr's intentions or wishes.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back