Third Party Press

Pretty much lost as to what I have.

Hello! So my dad recently found this rifle in my granddads house and neither of us are really sure of its history. I've tried looking up the SN and no serial number starts with AN. I've uploaded a couple pictures of the rifle. It also has a strange marking on the stock that I'm not sure of either. The only thing that leads me to think it's Nazi is the swastikas on the gun. https://imgur.com/a/g43g1

Definitely Chinese, I own one with the same prefix initials. The swastika is backwards, or a mirror image if you will note, which is actually an “Asia” or perhaps Buddhist symbol. Many of these were made not only during WWII but after, and a lot of them that are over here are in really rough shape. Perhaps a relative served in the Pacific during WWII or in Korea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely Chinese, I own one with the same prefix initials. The swastika is backwards, or a mirror image if you will note, which is actually an “Asia” or perhaps Buddhist symbol. Many of these were made not only during WWII but after, and a lot of them that are over here are in really rough shape. Perhaps a relative served in the Pacific during WWII or in Korea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the guy he got the gun from did serve in veitnam. So maybe it just found it way over there in time? Anyways I'm really interested in cleaning it up and shooting it. Figured it'd be a nice project gun, can you point me in the direction of some help for that.

Better check the bore. I'll bet it's toast. That rifle looks like one of the thousands imported back in the 90's. Some before that. The strange marking is a militia property mark. The village took turns firing it but no one cleaned it.

Better check the bore. I'll bet it's toast. That rifle looks like one of the thousands imported back in the 90's. Some before that. The strange marking is a militia property mark. The village took turns firing it but no one cleaned it.
The bore doesn't look too bad...I think? I'm no expert so I just removed the bolt and peered in with a flash light. There didn't appear to be any thing unusual about the rifling, all just one long spriral. But the firing pin is toast. I'll be sure to take it to a gun Smith to check the bore and I'll purchase a new firing pin.

Looks exactly like one of the Mausers encountered in SE Asia during the war. Hard to find one of these with anything resembling a decent bore.

From what I can see on the pictures, most parts of the rifle were made by the Hanyang factory (reverse swastika). So definitely a Chinese Mauser that has been in service for a long time. The bore may look pretty ugly. If you have an 8mm round, stick the bullet into the muzzle and see how deep it goes in. It wouldn't surprise me if the cartridge neck also disappeared in the muzzle...

From what I can see on the pictures, most parts of the rifle were made by the Hanyang factory (reverse swastika). So definitely a Chinese Mauser that has been in service for a long time. The bore may look pretty ugly. If you have an 8mm round, stick the bullet into the muzzle and see how deep it goes in. It wouldn't surprise me if the cartridge neck also disappeared in the muzzle...

I bought some 8mm rounds and stuck it in and end. I spun the bullet around to make a mark and the picture attached shows it just above the part where it widens. Is this gun still decent? Or should hang it and buy a real k98? https://imgur.com/R3VFRpk

Military Rifle Journal
Back