Third Party Press

Gebirgsjaeger S84/98 T3...Really ?

White T3

Paint me skeptical. I owned a 41ab with scabbard painted white. The paint was almost yellow, it was so old. I was skeptical of that one.

I`ve got a 43 cvl that is painted green in the same fashion. Wonder if I can sell it as a Hermann Goering Division bayo?

Paint me skeptical...

I like your witty repartee. I have seen painted bayonets in the past and only the very few had the appearance of being done either during the war or in post-WW2 service. I have a byf44 Kar98k I got back in the mid-1980s which I acquired via The Shotgun News. When it arrived I noticed the laminated wood stock/handguard had a greenish cast to them. I then discovered traces of forest green paint in several nooks & crannies, which was old, oil-based formula. Otherwise, the stock exhibited no cleaning or alterations to the underlying wood condition or finish. I have no proof, but cannot help but wonder if this rifle might have been painted green in German service and later cleaned off by the post-WW2 owner. Also owned a G43 magazine which had been overpainted with a baked, field gray paint. Another guy had a vet bring-back Kar98k bcd4 long siderail SSG in excellent condition. Both the buttplate and washers in the stock had been coated with field gray paint (to block any potential reflected glare from both).

Last edited:
Wonder if I can sell it as a Hermann Goering Division bayo?

About 10 years ago there was a S84/98 T3 Weyersberg "Tr" being sold on Ebay. Seller stated this came via vet whom got it in Italy, and from a H.G. Div. soldat. Copied the page and think I still have it (although it has a red cast to it now)...

As there are wrong side added screws which looks little problematic, so certainly not a good piece, the white is too fresh. anyway the white painted pieces could be found as period camuflage.The color on frog looks like old, anyway there is problem with rivets. b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back