Third Party Press

Thread: K98 1938 243 Manufacturer question

Default K98 1938 243 Manufacturer question

Hi all. I have a K98 243 1938 sn 2342r. Bolt and a few parts do not match sn. Tried a few web sites. K98 mauser page shows 243 1938s Berlin Lubeck as manufacturer but mauser 98K unofficial sites shows MauserAG Borsigwalde as manufacturer. Any help would be appreciated. The matching serialized parts all are marked with the nazi eagle over the numbers 26 or 280 or both. Its in rough shape -bore dark and no bluing left except what was protected by wood. Shellaced stock only retains about 20% finish but was surprised to find matching serial numbers in stock channel and inside channel of handguard to receiver number.. Barrel original- serialized to gun as are front and rear sights, bolt stop. In fact the parts not matching are the bolt which is all matching with numbers 1027, floorplate,follower and spring, band spring, nosecap and rear barrel band. Baffled to find front band matching. Captive screws intact, nazi markings intact and legible but worn. Belongs to a buddy who wants to sell it to me. Have no idea what its worth. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by knotaclew; 10-04-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

It's likely a typo. All variations of "243" (S/243, 243) are from Borsigwalde and all variations of "237" (S/237, 237) are from Berlin-Lubecker. Post some pictures. Is there an "X" on your receiver? Shellac on the stock indicates the the stock was from a Russian Capture.
    Last edited by ltong29; 10-04-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltong29 View Post
    It's likely a typo. All variations of "243" (S/243, 243) are from Borsigwalde and all variations of "237" (S/237, 237) are from Berlin-Lubecker. Post some pictures. Is there an "X" on your receiver? Shellac on the stock indicates the the stock was from a Russian Capture.
    Thanks for the response. Have to learn how to post pics yet. There is no "X" anywhere on the receiver. No import marks either. The captive screws are present and the stamps are intact. No electropencilling either. In my limited information on the RC mausers I've seen they had the nazi marks defaced and bolts were electrpencilled with the sn. I am new to the mauser field.

Any stock stamps by chance? If its M marked stock its a German navy issued weapon. Also check your bolt take down disc for interesting markings as well.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet" Major Robert Rogers 1757