Third Party Press

How big of a mistake did I make?

nw00738

Hey everyone, I just won an auction on a Mauser p38 and didn't notice some issues with it til the auction was over. It was advertised as full matching and I failed to see a civilian proof on it. Is this a force matched gun? I haven't actually sent payment yet, so I may be able to get out of it with just paying the auction fee.

pix549718220.jpg pix793969348.jpg pix865331992.jpgpix124694701.jpg pix985727189.jpg

I can't make out the markings but if crown over BNP it is post war surplus. Depends what you paid. For the record unless the seller changed something after your bid you have no grounds for getting out of paying. Your bid is a contract.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I can't make out the markings but if crown over BNP it is post war surplus. Depends what you paid. For the record unless the seller changed something after your bid you have no grounds for getting out of paying. Your bid is a contract.

Gunbroker allows the seller to agree to relist the item as long as the auction fee is payed (by me in this case). That still requires that the seller agrees to it. I'm not suggesting breaking an agreement. The mark is a crown over an M or N.

Gunbroker allows the seller to agree to relist the item as long as the auction fee is payed (by me in this case). That still requires that the seller agrees to it. I'm not suggesting breaking an agreement. The mark is a crown over an M or N.
Yes seller can agree. There is nothing in the gunbroker rules about this practice. Some sellers will and some won't. Not many will be happy either way. My point was don't bid unless you are sure of what you are bidding on.

Yes seller can agree. There is nothing in the gunbroker rules about this practice. Some sellers will and some won't. Not many will be happy either way. My point was don't bid unless you are sure of what you are bidding on.

Fair enough, worst case scenario I'll have a new "shooter". I really don't have a problem with that. That said, I see nothing wrong with asking. Either way I'll own the mistake.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the serial number is not a factory original barrel. The font is wrong. And where’s the suffix located on the barrel?

Agree with above poster, it is a mismatched or crudely forced match. That is a civilian-proofed barrel placed in a military wartime slide and frame, even has what may have been the wartime locking block transferred. The civilian proof stamp gives it away, as well as the 2nd grade shop project serial stamp.
But all is not yet lost, there is a possibility of it being a postwar made barrel for one of the AB9 series, or taken from a police issue. Much more can be learned when better pictures are available.
I can only recommend, after sad personal experience, that you forgo using the wartime slide and instead get a P1 fat slide (with P1 internals, there are a few key differences) to make it truly a shooter. The wartime slide can crack and the locking block can give way, and even though it would not be a collector piece lost, you could be injured in the aftermath.

Agree with above poster, it is a mismatched or crudely forced match. That is a civilian-proofed barrel placed in a military wartime slide and frame, even has what may have been the wartime locking block transferred. The civilian proof stamp gives it away, as well as the 2nd grade shop project serial stamp.
But all is not yet lost, there is a possibility of it being a postwar made barrel for one of the AB9 series, or taken from a police issue. Much more can be learned when better pictures are available.
I can only recommend, after sad personal experience, that you forgo using the wartime slide and instead get a P1 fat slide (with P1 internals, there are a few key differences) to make it truly a shooter. The wartime slide can crack and the locking block can give way, and even though it would not be a collector piece lost, you could be injured in the aftermath.

Well with that being the consensus, I'm going to contact gunbroker and the seller, it was knowingly or unknowingly advertised as something it's not.

Your pistol is an East German rework. At a minimum, the barrel assembly is reworked but, because it has the Crown/N stamp, I'm 99.9% sure it's a new made (in the early 50's) East German part. Personally, I like Eastie reworks and would be proud to own it if I were you so long as you didn't pay a bunch of money for it. It's still a legitimate MATCHING P38, just not WWII matching.

For comparison, here are replacement East German barrels made for reworked Lugers:

That last one has a double stamp ( I guess the dude was nervous?? lol ) but it most likely means the barrel was made in 1953.

Well with that being the consensus, I'm going to contact gunbroker and the seller, it was knowingly or unknowingly advertised as something it's not.
If the seller said it is all matching and original then yes that would be false advertising and not as described. Being it is public record now do you mind posting the link?

I thought it was an East German marked piece. Same crown markings on my 98k East German reworked piece. I'll be honest I always thought "AS IS" inspection period auctions were risking. No protection for the buyer.

I thought it was an East German marked piece. Same crown markings on my 98k East German reworked piece. I'll be honest I always thought "AS IS" inspection period auctions were risking. No protection for the buyer.

He hasn't shipped it and I haven't sent payment.

I usually make my auctions as is because I have had scum try and swap parts and then send it back. Never with firearms but with other items. Had one guy try and send me back his used and broke auto flushometer.

"As is" is a good move. I sold a minty original early WWII M-1 carbine that came back with parts so obviously switched that my wife noticed it immediately. Parts switches on first-generation SAA's (especially screws) are more of a problem but I seldom trade guns with anyone I don't know anymore.

Guys I never would think buyers would do that. But nothing surprises me anymore. That some downright scum right there. I guess your reputation doesn't matter too these asshats.

800. I know it was a bit steep for the condition, but if it was actually correct I would have been happy.
Yes if correct $800 wouldn't have been bad.

I recently bought a matching AC44 with extra Danish Mag and Original Holster for $850 in very nice condition.

Military Rifle Journal
Back