Third Party Press

How big of a mistake did I make?

Yes if correct $800 wouldn't have been bad.

I recently bought a matching AC44 with extra Danish Mag and Original Holster for $850 in very nice condition.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get a Mauser to round out the set. I currently have a Walther and a Spreewerke.

p38s_zpsd8s4gbsm.jpg

Your pistol is an East German rework. At a minimum, the barrel assembly is reworked but, because it has the Crown/N stamp, I'm 99.9% sure it's a new made (in the early 50's) East German part. Personally, I like Eastie reworks and would be proud to own it if I were you so long as you didn't pay a bunch of money for it. It's still a legitimate MATCHING P38, just not WWII matching.

For comparison, here are replacement East German barrels made for reworked Lugers:

That last one has a double stamp ( I guess the dude was nervous?? lol ) but it most likely means the barrel was made in 1953.

Those are beautiful examples!

If it is East German and not a British Commercial proof that would change things. I wouldn't mind having an East German rework. Probably still a little high on the price though.

Bob in Ohio had some Mauser P.38 Pistols for sale a few months ago. You may want to PM him OP.

800 is a bit high. 650 would be just about right I would think. Still, 150 isn't much of a difference and Easties are going up in value too. To be honest, If I had an extra 800 lying around, I'd say pay the man and then sell it to me. I sold my last DDR P38 a few years ago and I miss having one!

BTW, the mark between the trigger pin and the waffenamt on the frame is probably where there was a VoPo starburst that has been obliterated. Here is one hidden behind a takedown lever:

except for the fact you thought it was sometime else

I collect these things, $ 800 with no sunburst is a little more than I would pay, with a sunburst $ 800.00 is a fair price

but that's me, I own numerous East German Police pistols, I am serious collector heck I have have the EG holster for it here and magazine. I wait for sunburst or AB 9 pistols to come along. same with the lugers I got the EG holsters and proper loading tools just waiting also got the VOPO grips so many folks thing they can fool collectors

the seller probably did not know what he had, or he did and hoped you did not

also the first NVA units had reworked pistols these are NOT sunburst marked. I looked at two Lugers a few months back they were definitely East German re-works, but not Police marked. I knew what theywhere, the seller didn't

interesting I have never seen Peened out mark like that before, the sunburst was just usually defaced, that almost looks like some one drilled it out

Yes, it does. Strange I agree. But, it doesn't really surprise me. There seems to be as much variation on Eastie reworks as there is on Chinese AK's!

BTW, love your Spreewerk....

Me too! That's a nice one.

I agree about the strange removal of the sunburst. It does look drilled or ball-milled out.

As far as disputing this the fact the auction says 'bringback' in the title may help your cause as it's obviously not.

I like them because they are so rough looking. The grind marks usually seen on the slides are really neat!

I like them because they are so rough looking. The grind marks usually seen on the slides are really neat!

Agreed. I've really come to appreciate this factor. Pre and early weapons are all so finely finished while later on many are not at all. Late Steyr stuff in particular comes to mind. Seems Spree P38s also become brutal as far as finish quality. Certainly an interesting contrast and quite a comment to the circumstances they were made under.

Well that escalated quickly. I can understand his frustration, but he's doubling down that it's an original bringback. Thoughts on how to proceed?

(also mods, apologies if this question doesn't belong here)

dfg2.png

dfg.png

I wouldn't worry to much about t the seller. State not as described. Pictures almost look intentionally blurry. Ask him what mark that is exactly and to send a clear picture.

Last edited:
Whats the big deal, if he has a guy wanting too trade on this pistol he has a possible trade deal in the works right now. And the only fees he would have too pay would be the listing fee. Which is what less then $10. Personally I think he's pissed someone called him out on his bullshit.

So I guess at this point, no good can come from messaging him. I will handle it with GunBroker. The only issue I see is that he will list it as a "100% matching original bring back" again. I don't want this to happen to someone else.

g.png

Last edited:
So I guess at this point, no good can come from messaging him. I will handle it with GunBroker. The only issue I see is that he will list it as a "100% matching original bring back" again. I don't want this to happen to someone else.
Post it on the P38 Forum. Then if someone Google searches maybe they will at least find it between here and there

Military Rifle Journal
Back