Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Germania officer Soldbuch

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Anything on any 'reiter'?
    No, not in my collection; that is mainly because I don't focus on the dirty warfare on the Eastern front.

P

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter U View Post
    No, not in my collection; that is mainly because I don't focus on the dirty warfare on the Eastern front.
    Thanks. I understand your feelings but that's not something I can undo. I wish I understood more about how he felt.
    x

Thanks. I understand your feelings but that's not something I can undo. I wish I understood more about how he felt.
    What I mean is collecting focus; my collection is Belgian orientated with a little chapter of holocaust related material.
    There sure are collectors that focus on Waffen SS units like the Reiter Regiments but I'am not one of them and I don't have any contact with them either otherwise I would have brought you in to contact with them.
    Waffen SS Soldbucher are amongst the most expensive pieces in document collecting, adding an Eastern front/anti partisan warfare chapter to my collection would simply be to expensive.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

What I mean is collecting focus; my collection is Belgian orientated with a little chapter of holocaust related material.
    There sure are collectors that focus on Waffen SS units like the Reiter Regiments but I'am not one of them and I don't have any contact with them either otherwise I would have brought you in to contact with them.
    Waffen SS Soldbucher are amongst the most expensive pieces in document collecting, adding an Eastern front/anti partisan warfare chapter to my collection would simply be to expensive.
    Thank you for expanding on that. I wonder if many of those Soldbuch and other 'evidence' were quickly destroyed or discarded immediately after the war ended? I can see it would be very problematic to be in possession of such documents.
    x

Thank you for expanding on that. I wonder if many of those Soldbuch and other 'evidence' were quickly destroyed or discarded immediately after the war ended? I can see it would be very problematic to be in possession of such documents.
    Many were indeed destroyed at the end of the war, you simply wouldn't want to be caught with such incriminating evidence on you.
    Soldbucher with a direct veteran connection of units involved in anti partisan warfare, the holocaust or war crimes are rare, most examples you find in collections of these units come from archive sources.

Excellent stuff Peter
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

He was issued a rifle 147/1938 with the serial number: 5286w; he gave it back to the armory of his unit in April 1941 when he departed for officers training.
    A rare and very interesting Soldbuch, thank you very much for the photos and the background story.

It's hard to recognize, but I think the serial number of the 147 1938 looks rather like "5286 k" (the highest serial number in 1938 from Sauer which I know is "2494 t").

In the 90's I met a SS-Untersturmführer who served early in the Waffen-SS regiment "Germania". In April 1945 he was fighting in the city where I live with the SS-PzGren.Ausb.Btl.18.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57IS View Post
    A rare and very interesting Soldbuch, thank you very much for the photos and the background story.

It's hard to recognize, but I think the serial number of the 147 1938 looks rather like "5286 k" (the highest serial number in 1938 from Sauer which I know is "2494 t").

In the 90's I met a SS-Untersturmführer who served early in the Waffen-SS regiment "Germania". In April 1945 he was fighting in the city where I live with the SS-PzGren.Ausb.Btl.18.

Thanks, it could indeed be a "k".