Third Party Press

DOU 43 opinions please.

Not bad for 260 euro (about $300?) in my opinion. That bolt looks like its got a bit of rust on it though. Maybe it can be cleaned up. Other than that, it has potential to be a nice non-matching example.

It’s a nice bolt M/M. Not rough by any stretch of the imagination. 300 is a great deal, it’s probably worth a little north of 700.

If the bolt isn't altered, it is worth the better part of $200+ itself... it came out of a kar.98b and is fairly early, a type 2 variation (Volume I probably uses a different cataloging system, but I classify variations by changes after the dating ended...). Anyway, a short run of about 4,000-5,000 rifles. Pretty hard to find a type II Simson Kar.98b, one of the scarcer variations.

I'd call this a rather typical post surrender pick up. Rifles were in one pile, bolts in another. Souvenir hunters didn't think to try to match the bolt with the rifle. Bolts were bolts.

Stock potentially been messed with - note someone assembled the stock crossbolt incorrectly (backwards - the nut is supposed to go on the other side of the stock)

I'd call this a rather typical post surrender pick up. Rifles were in one pile, bolts in another. Souvenir hunters didn't think to try to match the bolt with the rifle. Bolts were bolts.

Anyone have a picture of one of these boltless rifle surrender piles? I have seen dozens of pictures of piles of surrendered rifles, including photos of troops in the act of turning in their weapons, I have never seen a pile of surrendered rifles that did not have their bolts intact.

...I keep hearing "rifles in one pile, bolts in another" as a reason for all the bolt MM rifles in the hands of US collectors. I have yet to see any evidence or documentation that this was a common practice.

While I agree most of these do have bolts I can see a few that don't. I seem to recall a discussion when front line troops 'captured' or had soldiers surrender and couldn't tend them they'd take the bolts and throw them in the woods or whatever and tell them to keep going towards the rear and the follow-on troops.

Not sure that's any more or less of a reason but somehow lots of bolt m/m rifles showed up here.

Military Rifle Journal
Back