Third Party Press

Siamese Mauser (Thialand)

dkerbaug

I have entry level knowledge on what's called the Siamese Mauser. I've read that it's not uncommon to find these rifles without Import Markings. I have an RS121 Siamese Mauser which has no Import Markings on it. This rifle does have an engraved SN on the left side of the receiver. The rifle doesn't have the typical Russian Capture finger prints. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

It looks like the 1903 Model of Siamese Mauser, aka Type 45. These were based on the Model 98 Mauser design, but were made in Japan in the first decade of the 1900's for Siam (later known as Thailand). They were originally in 8X50R caliber, but I think most were later modified to 8X52R. These used to be seen more often. I remember magazine ads from the early 1970's showing these for $20-$30 as I recall. Probably imported here in the 1960's.

Thank you for that information.

Were the Siam Mausers rounded up like the 98K's were in Germany and if so who likely ended up with these rifles at the end of the war?

A different situation in Thailand after WW2 than in Germany. No mass surrender of weapons that I've read about. I presume the Thai Army used these until they were replaced by more modern rifles. At some point after that, they were sold as surplus to an importer and brought to the US for commercial sale. Here are a couple ad images I saved showing these for sale by Interarms (Hunter's Lodge) and CAI.

Attachments

• hunters_lodge_100x.jpg
    hunters_lodge_100x.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 26
  • CAI Ad.jpg
    CAI Ad.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 19
Nothing to do whatsoever with Germany or Russia.

The Siamese Government ordered these - along with Arisakas - from I believe the Nagoya factory in Japan. They previously and concurrently used the British Lee Enfield SMLE III* (as the King of Siam was military schooled in England). These were used right through until the Japanese surrender in Thailand, and continued to be used after alongside contract Arisakas and Arisakas left behind/surrendered by the Japanese.

The elector pencil serial number is importer added, as the original serial number is in the Thai script, and I believe BATF import regulations required a "translation" of the script, or at least the addition of a trackable ENGLISH serial number. Might not be import marked, but is import compliant.

Interesting rifles, but not a thing German apart from a rudiment design basis, and definitely no Russian association. Common as mud here in Australia, and prices are still low (unless on the online sites lol).

Nothing to do whatsoever with Germany or Russia.

The Siamese Government ordered these - along with Arisakas - from I believe the Nagoya factory in Japan. They previously and concurrently used the British Lee Enfield SMLE III* (as the King of Siam was military schooled in England). These were used right through until the Japanese surrender in Thailand, and continued to be used after alongside contract Arisakas and Arisakas left behind/surrendered by the Japanese.

The elector pencil serial number is importer added, as the original serial number is in the Thai script, and I believe BATF import regulations required a "translation" of the script, or at least the addition of a trackable ENGLISH serial number. Might not be import marked, but is import compliant.

Interesting rifles, but not a thing German apart from a rudiment design basis, and definitely no Russian association. Common as mud here in Australia, and prices are still low (unless on the online sites lol).

In the US there was never a law that serial number had to be 'translated', that I am aware of. My rifle has no such etched number. Our import law marking regs. went into effect in 1668 and for many years they did not give any such info. Only very small abbreviation of Co. name & address, usually on barrel end (side or bottom).Now the import mark is electric penciled on receiver with more info including an entirely new serial assigned by ATF in large letters, even if original serial is in western numbers. Myself, I do not buy these rifles.

I have a number of German and Russian Imports. The US Import stamps are always all nice and pretty. (The Russian engravings are not.)

I wouldn't put it past a previous owner of this rifle to have translated the serial number and then engraved it himself. Even more likely since he probably bought the rifle for less than $40!

Military Rifle Journal
Back