Third Party Press

A small mistake?

heavy10

Looking through the awesome new books, I think I see a slight mistake. Page 548 says the bolt release lever is marked 'k' to denote a karabiner part. I believe the marking denotes a Luck & Wagner supplied part. IIRC, the only parts that could carry the 'k' (usually capitalized) for karabiner would be stocks, cleaning rods, and rear sight ramps. These being the only parts not compatible with the gewehr system.

Either way, excellent information and images. Page 713 is one of the coolest period pics I've seen. Happy to see my duv42 867e in there.

Looking through the awesome new books, I think I see a slight mistake. Page 548 says the bolt release lever is marked 'k' to denote a karabiner part. I believe the marking denotes a Luck & Wagner supplied part. IIRC, the only parts that could carry the 'k' (usually capitalized) for karabiner would be stocks, cleaning rods, and rear sight ramps. These being the only parts not compatible with the gewehr system.

Either way, excellent information and images. Page 713 is one of the coolest period pics I've seen. Happy to see my duv42 867e in there.

As you know, parts specific for the K98k (as opposed to the Gew.98 or Kar98b) could have the k marking - it may be a mistake for sure to suggest that this k denotes karabiner. I'm not sure that bsw used the Saxony group for parts though? There is a grey area on that if I remember correctly, where BSW was taken over by Gustloff-Werke. From my memory, all of the Saxony group components have e/18 inspections? (from memory which is admittedly foggy) Bruce did this section, so I'd have to defer to him and how he came to that conclusion. However, if this is a mistake, we can add it to the errata page when we make it - there are errors, with the scale of this project it's inevitable that we missed stuff or just plain go things wrong, but we spent 6 months just double checking stuff like this. It was brutal - it's nice to have feedback from members on it, especially respected guys like you!

1945 Book?

I am curious why the book covers K98k production from 1939 – 1944 but cuts off the final year of the war. I am hoping the last months of the war are so interesting you are saving it for a book just devoted to 1945.

I am hoping the last months of the war are so interesting you are saving it for a book just devoted to 1945.

As it turns out you would be correct. It's called "Kriegsmodell Guide to Rifle Production in the last months of the War" or something along those lines.

As it turns out you would be correct. It's called "Kriegsmodell Guide to Rifle Production in the last months of the War" or something along those lines.

I am aware of that book but not all 1945 K98ks were Kriegsmodell weapons.

Semantics - all new production in 1945 had some type of simplification such as phosphate, no disc, no bayonet lug. Some early type stocks were used and they are covered. We did that book first and decided after that to write the whole series. It is a good book even though it was our first, we rebranded it Vol.3 when we finished Vol. 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back