Third Party Press
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A small mistake?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    278

    Default A small mistake?

    Looking through the awesome new books, I think I see a slight mistake. Page 548 says the bolt release lever is marked 'k' to denote a karabiner part. I believe the marking denotes a Luck & Wagner supplied part. IIRC, the only parts that could carry the 'k' (usually capitalized) for karabiner would be stocks, cleaning rods, and rear sight ramps. These being the only parts not compatible with the gewehr system.

    Either way, excellent information and images. Page 713 is one of the coolest period pics I've seen. Happy to see my duv42 867e in there.

  2. #2
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy10 View Post
    Looking through the awesome new books, I think I see a slight mistake. Page 548 says the bolt release lever is marked 'k' to denote a karabiner part. I believe the marking denotes a Luck & Wagner supplied part. IIRC, the only parts that could carry the 'k' (usually capitalized) for karabiner would be stocks, cleaning rods, and rear sight ramps. These being the only parts not compatible with the gewehr system.

    Either way, excellent information and images. Page 713 is one of the coolest period pics I've seen. Happy to see my duv42 867e in there.
    As you know, parts specific for the K98k (as opposed to the Gew.98 or Kar98b) could have the k marking - it may be a mistake for sure to suggest that this k denotes karabiner. I'm not sure that bsw used the Saxony group for parts though? There is a grey area on that if I remember correctly, where BSW was taken over by Gustloff-Werke. From my memory, all of the Saxony group components have e/18 inspections? (from memory which is admittedly foggy) Bruce did this section, so I'd have to defer to him and how he came to that conclusion. However, if this is a mistake, we can add it to the errata page when we make it - there are errors, with the scale of this project it's inevitable that we missed stuff or just plain go things wrong, but we spent 6 months just double checking stuff like this. It was brutal - it's nice to have feedback from members on it, especially respected guys like you!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  3. #3
    Junior Member MrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Question 1945 Book?

    I am curious why the book covers K98k production from 1939 – 1944 but cuts off the final year of the war. I am hoping the last months of the war are so interesting you are saving it for a book just devoted to 1945.

  4. #4
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    4,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I am hoping the last months of the war are so interesting you are saving it for a book just devoted to 1945.
    As it turns out you would be correct. It's called "Kriegsmodell Guide to Rifle Production in the last months of the War" or something along those lines.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  5. #5
    Junior Member MrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    As it turns out you would be correct. It's called "Kriegsmodell Guide to Rifle Production in the last months of the War" or something along those lines.

    I am aware of that book but not all 1945 K98ks were Kriegsmodell weapons.

  6. #6
    No War Eagles For You! mrfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,905

    Default

    Semantics - all new production in 1945 had some type of simplification such as phosphate, no disc, no bayonet lug. Some early type stocks were used and they are covered. We did that book first and decided after that to write the whole series. It is a good book even though it was our first, we rebranded it Vol.3 when we finished Vol. 1.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

  7. #7
    Junior Member MrB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thanks for the explanation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •