Third Party Press

Byf41 luger

Its maybe just me but I'm not a big fan on the bluing on the barrel. For some reason it doesn't match the wear on the rest of the pistol. Overall finish color on the pistol has even used wear but the barrel looks mint?

Could be just the lighting.

Luger

That's why I posted this thing. Is there any way to verify the grips being replaced? I like this dealer and fear that he took it in the rear on this one. Thanks for the posts

Does the barrel serial match? then just refinished if yes but as pointed out, not originally as issued. I picked up an all matching but mag BYF41 and the wood grips also matched the last two digits. These look too nice even though wear on the pistol as a whole is light.

I will be there tomorrow, I will check grips for serial number and barrel as well. What did you give for your example? He is asking 1500

Barrel markings on a BYF41 for reference. It's a Russian capture but all they appear to have done was dip blue it. The markings were left intact:

5722 is the serial number and 8,81 is the bore diameter when new.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it would have had a bakelite base magazine too.

I will be there tomorrow, I will check grips for serial number and barrel as well. What did you give for your example? He is asking 1500

I bought it sight unseen for 300. Excellent bore but sadly lots of pitting on the edges. It cleaned up pretty good so at least worth what I paid. 1500 seems steep without a matching mag and potentially replacement barrel. Still it's been at least refinished if original but why not finish the rest before reassemble?

Last edited:
Barrel markings on a BYF41 for reference. It's a Russian capture but all they appear to have done was dip blue it. The markings were left intact:

5722 is the serial number and 8,81 is the bore diameter when new.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it would have had a bakelite base magazine too.

BYF 41s especially can leave the factory with either. FXO, P08 and WaA 37 marked. I've had both from both years.

There appear to be import marks under the barrel which also detract from the value. Depending on letter block, un-numbered original grips can be correct for '41.

IMG_1014.jpgbarrel is original with no import marks, but the grips are unmarked and suspiciously crisp. Still thinking about it.

There appear to be import marks under the barrel which also detract from the value. .....

I don't want to sound rude but you're mixing up my pistol with the OP's pistol.

To the OP, disassemble and check underneath the slide for an import mark. Some were marked there so that you can't see it with the pistol assembled. It may very well not be an import and was either brought back or imported pre-68. Whatever the case, the pistol looks from the pictures to be not as it finished the war.

With the different barrel finish there are a lot of possibilities. Also, there are a lot of subtle variations with byf 41's and not always consistent within the same letter block.

completely disassembled it this afternoon and it is matching throughout with no import marks anywhere. the letter block looks like a y but not sure I have been wrong about those before. would a y block have a numbered mag? and grips? I may let this one go. I believe it has been refinished. thanks for the replys. james

The aluminum bottomed fxo mag would be correct through the n and o blocks and black plastic bottoms are typical after that. However, I have an original q block fxo aluminum bottomed mag and a q block gun. Some 41's have black bakelite grips while others have wood and there doesn't appear to be any definite cut off. I've had these with original grips that were 655 Waffen Amted with no number, others with the last two serial number digits and some original grips that were completely unmarked. These can be a tough call.

Lugers are bringing such crazy prices anymore they were always high compared to other guns but I just lived too many of the two two fifty days. timothy

Military Rifle Journal
Back