Third Party Press

Are You Up for a Challenge? What K98k Stock?

tapmeister

So, pictures of a K98k stock are attached. Having removed the barrel/action, I see no identifying marks. Can anyone suggest the model of barrel/action for which the stock was made?

After your responses (several SWAGS or real knowledge), I will post pictures of the barrel/action, along with bolt, follower and magazine plate that came with the rifle.

Let's "gitter done!"

Those who have the marvelous "Karabiner" books now can start their research. Or, "Gentlemen: Start your engines!"

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpg
    IMG_5566.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5572.jpg
    IMG_5572.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5579.jpg
    IMG_5579.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5586.jpg
    IMG_5586.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5587.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5610.jpg
    IMG_5610.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 67
I won't answer because it just wouldn't be fair, but I know instantly what this comes from.

Well we know the stock is for a late war Kriegsmodell type rifle. And being this stock has no markings I would say this stock would go too a dou45 rifle. But late war is not what I'm the best at in the K98k collecting department. :laugh:

BNZ45 would be my second guess only becasue the way the sling cutout was done. Late war Steyr made rifles are really rough in that area.

Too me it's the bolt cutout that makes it a bnz stock. No final acceptance. Probably a late T block or something.

I could be wrong. I only collect that junky MO stuff.

Not complete tho. No final. No take down hole
Drilled, Can't see the e/waa623 in stock channel.

Are You Up for a Challenge? What K98k Stock? - Follow-up

Now we are getting to the reasons I started this thread. The first is to enhance my knowledge of the K98k rifle and it history. The second was to generate some research, comments and discussion that will, I hope, enhance knowledge of the K98k rifle for all of us.

Some very interesting comments so far. Now, if any of you have one or all of the excellent set of books by Michael Steves and Bruce Karem, "A Collector's Guide to K98k Production in WWII," let's go back to school and do some research there (or elsewhere, if you do not have any of these books).

If you have one or more of the books and research there, please tell us which volume and what pages in the publication you used to support your conclusions and comments. Let's learn together.

Oh, by the way, the "Sage" of K98's is watching, so live and learn.

...please tell us which volume and what pages in the publication you used to support your conclusions and comments. Let's learn together.

Oh, by the way, the "Sage" of K98's is watching, so live and learn.

Easy. Chapter 5, pages 213 and 214 of Kreigs. Top photo on 213 is really very close to this one. Yours is even more extreme IMHO. Bottom of 214 mentions this feature specifically.

The bolt handle cutout made me immediately think Steyr, but what has me wondering is that I don’t see any hole drilled in the butt for the take down hole in the butt plate. It’s a cupped butt plate stock with no take down disc, I can’t see a nut for a cleaning rod and no routed channel for a band spring, so it’s what is called “full kriegsmodell” style but I can’t see any WaA623 in the stock barrel channel either. It’s laminated too as I can see so it’s not a solid walnut bnz. This is fun!! Back to the book!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy. Chapter 5, pages 213 and 214 of Kreigs. Top photo on 213 is really very close to this one. Yours is even more extreme IMHO. Bottom of 214 mentions this feature specifically.

I think the subject stock doesn’t have a takedown disc or cleaning rod nut, nor a channel for a band spring so it would be more like the second rifle on 213 (SDP) in KMIII right? But it also has no drilled hole for bolt takedown in the butt.

I do agree about both the bolt handle cutout and the inletting for the recoil lug nut, those look Steyr to me too.

Didn't go by the book went by memory haha. I'll be honest when I go too the shows and I'm the hunt for something that I really want. I also bring a notebook with notes on it in my bag. For how much I study and research you can not remember everything. Always remember if you have doubts on something go with your gut.

I don't know why but that has never let me down. When I went against I got taken lol!

Are You Up for a Challenge? What K98k Stock? - Follow-up to Follow-u

Interesting. Thank you. I've attached a few pics (a couple new) for consideration and review. Take some time to look at the question below. Make any follow-up comments you may have.

I'll get the pics of the barrel/action, that came with this stock, ready to upload.

Is there a consensus here that:

1. It's a Kriegsmodell (late war)
2. bnz44 or bnz45?
3. Or, do you still have other positions about which to comment?

Attachments

• K98k Stock Pictures2017-09-14 16.59.58.jpg
    K98k Stock Pictures2017-09-14 16.59.58.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5587.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5590.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5594.jpg
    IMG_5594.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5596.jpg
    IMG_5596.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 25
Interesting. Thank you. I've attached a few pics (a couple new) for consideration and review. Take some time to look at the question below. Make any follow-up comments you may have.

I'll get the pics of the barrel/action, that came with this stock, ready to upload.

Is there a consensus here that:

1. It's a Kriegsmodell (late war)
2. bnz44 or bnz45?
3. Or, do you still have other positions about which to comment?

I would agree that in configuration it is like a “full kriegsmodell” stock but the lack of a hole in the butt still makes me think it’s not simply a bnz45. The post war Czech stocks usually have a slot for the band spring which this lacks. I looked again and still cannot see any markings in the barrel channel, on my walnut bnz45 the WaA63 is pretty visible. So I’m still perplexed!! Anyone have any ideas about the take down accommodation, or lack thereof?

This is fun though, I’m enjoying trying to find it. :)

Kinda looks like the .22 trainer stocks on some of the less-than-spectacular Israeli ones and some of the Czech post-war ones.

I am probably dreaming lol.

That stock sure has been dropped though!

Military Rifle Journal
Back