Third Party Press

Are You Up for a Challenge? What K98k Stock?

Are You Up for a Challenge? K98k Stock - The Barrel/Action

Very interesting learning opportunity for us. Research improves education and knowledge. I used this as a means to learn as well. In coming days I have another K98k that I will use in a similar exercise. as Others have remarked, "Great fun!"

The pictures attached are of the barrel/action that came with the K98k stock when I purchased the rifle. Your thoughts on the rifle and what you now see are welcomed. We all learn together. For those of us that have one or more of the Karabiner K98/Kriegsmodel books by Karem and Steves, it's a privilege to use them for research. As for reading them, I'm not sure I can make it to 2030, but I'll give it a shot. Pun intended.

What do you see and think now?

Attachments

• IMG_4991.jpg
    IMG_4991.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4992 (1).jpg
    IMG_4992 (1).jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4995 (1).jpg
    IMG_4995 (1).jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4999.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5006.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5016.jpg
    IMG_5016.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5022.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5023.jpg
    IMG_5023.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5028.jpg
    IMG_5028.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5030.jpg
    IMG_5030.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5049.jpg
    IMG_5049.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5051.jpg
    IMG_5051.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
O block is too early for a KM stock. Maybe a restoration? Incorrect band screw for Steyr as well.

O block is too early for a KM stock.

Well 1622P is the lowest reported KM stock but the authors quote "it is possible that KM stocks may appear in the late O block, but none have been observed to date." Certainly seems plausible to me that this is original to the rifle. It also may help explain how the takedown hole was 'missed' being drilled as this would have been a very new operation.

Incorrect band screw for Steyr as well.

Agreed. They're Czech but those may have been lost and replaced. Mine is missing one currently.

Well 1622P is the lowest reported KM stock but the authors quote "it is possible that KM stocks may appear in the late O block, but none have been observed to date." Certainly seems plausible to me that this is original to the rifle. It also may help explain how the takedown hole was 'missed' being drilled as this would have been a very new operation.

Agreed. They're Czech but those may have been lost and replaced. Mine is missing one currently.

I agree with heavy-mech on this one.

If it’s a super early KM stock then yes I can understand them not drilling the take down hole, which also lends support to the idea that the holes in the plate and in the stock were drilled together at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A New low for a KM stock, and one that missed the take-down in the butt would be really interesting! And vol. IIa suggests that the hole was drilled in one operation after the butt plate was fitted so it would be one missed operation vs. 2 on two components, so again more likely. But what was throwing me was the finish - the receiver/barrel appear Phosphated? If it's worn blue then I'd go with a new low KM. But why no E/H on the side or 623 in the channel?

I guess it's possible, but it seems early to be missing the KM buttplate, missing the stock final acceptance, no visible wa623 in the stock channel. Q blocks are very consistent by my observations.

I'd still like a clarification on finish if that's in the rules! The shots of the barrel, serial etc look like phosphate, or very worn. The bolt looks almost new, and much higher finish than the rest. Same with front band. Mixed finish would be telling. TG and FP are absent! And would be a big tell as well. Very linear evolution there. i don't think we'd see any phosphate in this block. I don't think even TG/FP's in phosphate showed up till late P or Q? Can we assume all parts shown are original to this rifle?

Would anyone like me to take pics of other areas? Maybe better pics with better definition? Oh, and I’ll add follower and floor plate!

Love the discussion! I’ll also post the “Description” used when I purchased the rifle That may generate even more discussion.

....and trigger guard please! Thx for the exercise. Kinda hard to argue with mike tho.... He did write the book as they say....

I zoomed in on the pictures of the receiver and barrel, and here is what I see.
a77062c5b0097751a2955dca58f8dcd9.jpg
027e673bee01d0d275df43c19a5df879.jpg

So this rifle HAS a firing proof, and either no final acceptance on top of the receiver OR it got pinged out. The area of pitting there could be a ping job or an area of localized surface rust that was cleaned off. Is that a dim/light or worn Russian capture “X” in the middle of the receiver? I am wondering if maybe this is a resto R/C gun. Then again my eyes may just be seeing things that are not there.

If it really IS no final acceptance, it looks kind of like an SS contract gun. The mottled finish and super light front bands and barrel and sight hood could be the result of stripping off Russian Bluing, and the worn barrel lot code and other markings could also be the result of cleaning/polishing to get the bluing off. I don’t think it’s parkerized, it’s not gray/green enough.

The bolt does look pretty nice, not stripped like the rest of the gun. Very interesting!

I will be interested to see what the trigger guard and floor plate show us. I must admit I checked this thread like ten times throughout the day to see if anything new had been posted. OP, this is fun!

I can see the FP no problem. There 'may' have been a final on top. Lightly struck. It looks to me based on where the worst of the pitting is that it was either laying down on it's top or it was wrapped in something not favorable to preservation and that area got exposed to excessive rust.

No top final on Steyr from about the b block if 44 until the q block.

Top acceptance started mid to late q block, I don't recall off the top of my head.

Are You Up for a Challenge? What K98k Stock? - Follow-up w/More Pix & Info

I just read a "Sticky" on a simple method for taking pictures of rifle, pistol and parts that doesn't show glare or shadows. I'll have to make the simple box and give it a try.

To pull this "drill" all together, I've posted some more pix to refresh memories.

Below is the description of the rifle at the time it was offered.

"WWII GERMAN 98K MAUSER KRIEGSMODELL RIFLE bnz 44"

"ALL MATCHING NUMBERS-NOT IMPORT MARKED"

"Very good condition WWII German 98k Mauser rifle that is the scarce late war Kriegsmodell, made with bands held by screws and without a bayonet lug or bolt takedown washer. Rifle is marked “bnz 44” on the receiver for production by Steyr in 1944. Gun is NOT import marked and has all matching serial numbers. The only serialized parts are the barrel, rear sight leaf and slider, bolt body, and firing pin. Correct for late war guns. Metal finish is original blue showing some wear. Bore is bright and excellent with strong rifling. Stock has original finish and shows some wear and handling marks. Wrist has a couple of cracks. Complete with front sight hood. A hard to find 98k Mauser Kriegsmodell rifle with matching numbers that will make a fine addition to your collection."

I've really enjoyed jumping into learning more about K98 Mauser rifles. I love using the 4 volumes, chuck full of great information I received in the last couple of weeks. Amazing records, awesome pictures! I work in the TV program develop and sales and would love to find a way t make a series from these books!

From the above description, the comments, the pix etc, what say ye now gentlemen? How would you describe/label this K98k rifle?

"Go for broke!"

"Go for broke" is a pidgin phrase used in Hawaii meaning to gamble everything, to "shoot the works"—to risk "going broke" etc.
Motto: 442nd Regimental Combat Team, WWII (Most decorated, most casualties).
Great movie!

Attachments

• 2017-10-23 17.59.56.jpg
    2017-10-23 17.59.56.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2017-10-23 18.00.47.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.00.47.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2017-10-23 18.00.58.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.00.58.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2017-10-23 18.01.12.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.01.12.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2017-10-23 18.02.10.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.02.10.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2017-10-23 18.03.39.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.03.39.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2017-10-23 18.04.11.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.04.11.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2017-10-23 18.05.18.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.05.18.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 11
  • 2017-10-23 18.07.47.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.07.47.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2017-10-23 18.11.46.jpg
    2017-10-23 18.11.46.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 13
Are You Up For a Challenge? Is this a Kriegsmodel?

I just read a "Sticky" on a simple method for taking pictures of rifle, pistol and parts that doesn't show glare or shadows. I'll have to make the simple box and give it a try.

To pull this "drill" all together, I've posted some more pix to refresh memories.

Below is the description of the rifle at the time it was offered.

"WWII GERMAN 98K MAUSER KRIEGSMODELL RIFLE bnz 44"

"ALL MATCHING NUMBERS-NOT IMPORT MARKED"

"Very good condition WWII German 98k Mauser rifle that is the scarce late war Kriegsmodell, made with bands held by screws and without a bayonet lug or bolt takedown washer. Rifle is marked “bnz 44” on the receiver for production by Steyr in 1944. Gun is NOT import marked and has all matching serial numbers. The only serialized parts are the barrel, rear sight leaf and slider, bolt body, and firing pin. Correct for late war guns. Metal finish is original blue showing some wear. Bore is bright and excellent with strong rifling. Stock has original finish and shows some wear and handling marks. Wrist has a couple of cracks. Complete with front sight hood. A hard to find 98k Mauser Kriegsmodell rifle with matching numbers that will make a fine addition to your collection."

I've really enjoyed jumping into learning more about K98 Mauser rifles. I love using the 4 volumes, chuck full of great information I received in the last couple of weeks. Amazing records, awesome pictures! I work in the TV program develop and sales and would love to find a way t make a series from these books!

From the above description, the comments, the pix etc, what say ye now gentlemen? How would you describe/label this K98k rifle?

"Go for broke!"

"Go for broke" is a pidgin phrase used in Hawaii meaning to gamble everything, to "shoot the works"—to risk "going broke" etc.
Motto: 442nd Regimental Combat Team, WWII (Most decorated, most casualties).
Great movie!

With all the pix, comments and research, is this K98k a Kriegsmodel? Any other contributions or comments?

With all the pix, comments and research, is this K98k a Kriegsmodel? Any other contributions or comments?

IMHO yes.... and the earliest one to date. I think the missing takedown hole is fairly easy to explain as just being missed. Probably the first day or so of this 'new' operation. The missing stock acceptance I have no explanation for however.

Military Rifle Journal
Back