Third Party Press

I Don't Know If This Is of Interest / Unusual Markings

Interesting stuff, thanks everyone for sharing.

The "blue book" says Gew 98 (transitional) and Kar 98b rifles are worth $700 and $1000 respectively in 98%, all matching condition. Yeah right. I've never seen one of either in even close to 98%.

Interesting observation, though I bet Blue Book has never bought or sold either... any Kar.98b in original condition would pull double that, especially in 98% finish (if one exists), - actually probably closer to triple anywhere near 90%. Really nice 98b's routinely pull $3000 and if you could find a dated or a-c block anywhere near matching it would be worth more than $3000.

I have never seen a really nice fully original and matching upgraded G98 for sale, especially an early one; you can find a rearmament G98 (nazi era) in upper grades, though usually some mismatched parts, usually the bolt, but there are distinctions to be made when dealing with interwar rifles.

Pre-1930 upgrades are almost unheard of in upper grades, matching is almost impossible, I have never seen one that hasn't been upgraded after 1930. Much of what is "right" is unknown prior to 1930, 1922-1930 was a period the Germans practiced "dual compliance", meaning rifles sighted to accommodate S-patrone (standard 7.92 used in the G98 throughout the war) and the newly (1918) introduced sS patrone originally designed for MG service, but was authorized for rifles during the war in emergency circumstances as long as inventory allowed (priority to MG's). I doubt an unaltered first generation upgrade exists, though I also doubt a distinction would be made by the vast majority of interested collectors.

It may be true that a typical upgraded G98 (Gew.98M) might only command on average $700-1000 in full original-matching condition, but I doubt the compiler has seen one before. Such a rifle would be far more rare than almost any Kar.98k you encounter. Original-matching and interwar Gew.98 are not phrases commonly used together.

Interesting stuff, thanks everyone for sharing.

The "blue book" says Gew 98 (transitional) and Kar 98b rifles are worth $700 and $1000 respectively in 98%, all matching condition. Yeah right. I've never seen one of either in even close to 98%.

Personally I think the world and especially Germany would have been better off breaking up, breaking into several states or confederations, - 1866 and 1870 was a mistake, Bavaria and Prussia never got along especially well, southern Germany (Württemberg, Baden and Bavaria) would have been better off in a confederation, closer to Austria, - Saxony was never "buddies" with Prussia (though in 1923 they no longer had a common border with Austria, their traditional ally); though I guess everything is solved by time, even the lingering disparity since 1990 (disparity between east and west Germany) has seemingly disappeared, the Germans seem more "uniform" or united than ever before in their history. (at least for now, their immigration policy is cultural suicide imo, "diversity" is not a strength, its a weakness, in a stable state divisions create conflicts, as these ethnic groups grow in number they will grow in political and economic influence, if assimilation doesn't occur at a adequate pace conflicts will increase)

I think Metternich would agree with you! :thumbsup:

Very nice rifles and a very interesting read thanks to both Dave and Loewe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back