Third Party Press

Vz.24 stock question...

Wolfsburg

Caught wind of a Vz.24 coming up for auction locally and can’t quite figure out what I’m seeing in regards to the stock. The rifle is German modified with a sling slot cut in but no take-down washer. What’s odd is it doesn’t appear to have ever had a wrist swivel or grasping grooves. My initial thought was it might be a Vz.23 but the front and rear band spacing looks to be that of a Vz.24.

Any ideas why that might be? Does it seem plausible that it could be a cutdown Vz.98/22 stock? Does that seem possible? Was that ever done? I don’t have the rifle in-hand or seen it in person, so I couldn’t comment on markings or more specific details at this point.

Attachments

• 9CA658B4-59C6-4481-8642-335CD24FC30B.jpeg
    9CA658B4-59C6-4481-8642-335CD24FC30B.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 112
You can find modified vz23/24 with almost any combination of mods imaginable, so not much surprise there.

Without better pics hard to say for sure, but it could be a vz23 stock cut back to the vz24 profile. The Germans did crazier things.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks! I guess I didn’t consider that they’d bother cutting back a stock that would’ve fit anyways (right?). That’s pretty interesting. I suppose this could even potentially be a Vz.23 action in a Vz.23 stock, modified to be closer to a Vz.24 standard. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see!

I go with the VZ.23 stock, it has no finger grooves. The Czech's did such conversion themselves. Both 24 & 23 stocks are the same, as far as inletting the action fit. This rifle was converted into a 'carbine', side swivels. That is the reason the lower swivel on band is missing and rear sling cut thru the side for the German sling. Very unusual. But some100_0333.jpg were done that way by the Germans. I would buy that in a heart beat!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights Dave! I'm gonna do my best! Haha!

Anyone have any stabs as to what value might be, just assuming it’s a decent condition mismatched bringback? I know all original, matching and unmodified Vz.24s tend to be worth more but this one certainly has my interest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights Dave! I'm gonna do my best! Haha!

Anyone have any stabs as to what value might be, just assuming it’s a decent condition mismatched bringback? I know all original, matching and unmodified Vz.24s tend to be worth more but this one certainly has my interest.

I would go 300 for it, maybe more if I could examine 'in hand'. Like a 23 action in a modified stock. If you get it and are disappointed, give me a holler.

It almost looks like the early G24t stock with the exception of having the ID disc instead of a take down washer. Was there a lower sling swivel base on the bottom edge of the buttstock that has been filled?

Thanks for the insights gents! I had figured $200-300 would be a plenty safe bet but I don't really follow Vz.24s too much, though I've always wanted one. Is it at all conceivable that any early G.24s had a stock disk rather than take-down washer? I'd say the answer is probably no? I've not seen the rifle in person so I'm not sure if the rear swivel base has been filled.

Well I just saw better pics and sadly the stock has been dufflecut and not under the band.:facepalm: Also, the stock does show signs of once having a lower sling swivel. I knew it was a vet bringback but Im a bit gutted the stock has such a nasty dufflecut. Also not thrilled there are more pics because that’s usually evidence a lot of people have been asking about it. Ive had some good deals fly under the radar at estate auctions but this might not be one of em...

Well, it's looking like this might actually be a K-block Vz.23, which as I understand is a transitional period leading to the Vz.24.

Military Rifle Journal
Back