Third Party Press

What is this bayonet?

GEM

Acquired this one about 10 years ago and am still puzzling over it. The blade is a WWI German S84/98 saw back. The tang is marked Waffenfabrik Mauser A.G. Oberndorf a.N. The mark is an off-center factory error and looks to have been re-struck. The blade spine is marked with a Crown W 17 (Prussian 1917) and a Crown over 11. There is no flash guard. Scabbard appears to be an unmarked German S84/98. It has been with this blade for some time as the saw back has cut into the throat but I suspect it was mated to the blade in the WWII era. The unusual muzzle ring fits the G98/98k series. The hilt design is reminiscent of but not identical to an M71/84, Czech VZ24 or a Polish M1924. Similar slanted design but dimensions and proportions are clearly different.

Is this some kind of export model or something assembled by the Czechs, Poles of others in the interwar period? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG00610.jpg
    IMAG00610.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG00611.jpg
    IMAG00611.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 62
Most real a brazilian M1935 long bayonet was damaged with adding of Mauser stamp and other proofs, the left crossguard is origin serial of that contract.Done in Afghanistan, Iraq for US soldiers on Vz.23 and old turkish S98/05 shortages too.b.r.Andy

The blade is 10". I agree that it could be a Brazilian form and that the Mauser Oberndorf mark does seem questionable. However, the blade definitely has original WWI German marks on the spine and the saw teeth grindings seem to me to be original as compared to my other original saw back examples. Maybe a Brazilian made up with a German blade and the Mauser mark added more recently?

By 10inch blade should it be a export to Spain, sometimes called M1936 or other country of South Am. anyway certainly not a WW1 piece, the sawback is there wrong, same as the makerstamp of Mauser and acceptance,
You should add picture of the spine marking for comparation?.
I have reported a W date proof faked on M1924 bayonet from FN Belgium, same as found same type of fakes on blanko export bayonets, that were made in reality early 30ies so couldnt have a W/16 or 17 on blade, here is added first picture of same type of bayonet.
Second picture a FN M1924 long bayonet that was stamped with same fake Mauser maker stamp and same combination as You declared above, W17/ crown 11, as they - fakers didnt known the bayonet FN M1924 production was started since 1924.b.r.Andy

Attachments

• fakedblankoa.jpg
    fakedblankoa.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Fnfakea.jpg
    Fnfakea.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here are pictures of the spine markings and saw teeth.

Attachments

• IMAG00612.jpg
    IMAG00612.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG00615.jpg
    IMAG00615.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 13
You could compare it, same font as on fake above, wrong crown above W, and under lower crown should be a letter of inspector not II, and in schwabach font, the sawback is wrong as maker mark of Mauser, a damaged german export piece, that would be more worth in origin condition as any WW1 piece, because only small numbers went to Spain.b.r.Andy

Thanks for the education and examples you posted for comparison. I agree with your assessment but still think it is an interesting piece.

Military Rifle Journal
Back