Third Party Press

Most recent GunBroker sleeper Peruvian Modelo 1909

met

Ok, I promised heavy_mech I would post this one. It’s not German used rifle but it’s about as close to a Mauser Oberndorf Gew 98 as one can get.
1f33efe53132753a753eca547c82f5a5.jpg

This was posted as an Argentine Modelo 1909 parts rifle - unsafe to fire due to excessive headspace. His photos were lousy but I was able to make out the Lange Vizier. I figured Bubba ran a 30-06 reamer in the chamber so he could get c’triges at Walmart to fire in it. With a $175 buy now and $35 shipping I couldn’t resist rolling the dice - especially after he told me it had a great bore.

What I received was indeed a well used but nice arsenal reconditioned Peruvian 1909.
d280478ce3c72c46efc13805f3c33e41.jpg
37d0b4c8958ed50906a849a7ba73b3b5.jpg
c69f27c4e3f1af91d550206fad51584d.jpg
a830083944b3691cda016c93cdd636a0.jpg

I soon found that 30-06 didn’t fit and a 7.65x53 sank really deep in the chamber. The barrel is a SIG replacement and there is an unusual stock repair on the forend. Also a Turk marked bolt release-that’s strange.
4647db0752018e0d400dfa4001a350fe.jpg
361bb6880f508cc7d22e62ee78cce49a.jpg

8511733ec0f052e169627ca789f53f01.jpg

At this point i decided to fire form a 7.65x53 at arms length with my head turned away. As I hoped nothing bad happened and it revealed a chamber reamed approximately 2mm too deep. Not a big deal for me since I form my 7.65x53 from surplus 30-06 brass. I simply adjusted my form die to produce a 7.65x55 Hull.

In this photo the standard 7.65x53 is on the left, the 7.65x53 fired in the this rifle in the center, and a 7.65x55 on the right. Problem solved.
8d6e16308e71fffbff000be9d11a3670.jpg

Rifle shoots great - 100 yd group
3a7bbf97b84e464683962843fc482c37.jpg

My theory is that the Peruvian armourer installing the SIG barrel went to sleep at the reamer and went too deep-it is easy to do if using a lathe. The front sight sleeve is also sloppily installed. Soldiers were probably more expendable than rifles in the day so they apparently let it go sloppily reamed. And it likely fired many rounds without issue if the ammo was relatively new and the brass properly annealed.
48791ddd20f000040f63beb5f1047dc8.jpg

The SIG barrels were primarily used to update their m1891 rifles I think, but with some fore thought the Peruvians ordered their 1909s with small shank barrels as well.

Regards
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Marty,

I have not managed to find a NOS SIG replacement barrel, yet, but many military rifle barrels, depending on who and when, were manufactured with deep chambers. It is much easier for a low level armored with a lathe to adjust the shoulder and breech face than to supply a Reamer.

Very nice find and I am glad you snapped it up. I haven't been searching for Peruvians lately, if I had seen it, would have gambled too! (The action is worth what you paid!)

Another nice score Marty! Well worth the gamble IMHO. Interesting about the deep chamber. Not a problem at all for a military rifle where the rounds are new and only meant to be fired one time. That's a nice grouping btw! Are those your own load workup?

Another nice score Marty! Well worth the gamble IMHO. Interesting about the deep chamber. Not a problem at all for a military rifle where the rounds are new and only meant to be fired one time. That's a nice grouping btw! Are those your own load workup?

Yes, I formed the brass from surplus 30-06 brass to 55mm instead of 53 to fit the deep chamber. Mild load of 40gr of 4064 under a .311 180 gr Sierra prohunter.

Just noticed today that the stock on this rifle is notched for a turned down bolt handle?

Cannot think of a Long Mauser Oberndorf Rifle of this era so equipped other than the German bicycle rifle, but seems like it had the area scalloped for the bolt knob also.
6e144e9353d0d7a69d0b35d01c53e8d0.jpg

That one is a work of art! Thanks for sharing again.

Just noticed today that the stock on this rifle is notched for a turned down bolt handle?

Cannot think of a Long Mauser Oberndorf Rifle of this era so equipped other than the German bicycle rifle, but seems like it had the area scalloped for the bolt knob also.
6e144e9353d0d7a69d0b35d01c53e8d0.jpg

Is the bolt matching? The polished up area on the receiver in front of the bolt handle, does it look repaired? Its probably my eyes and the photos, but there is a crater there. Trying to figure out of its just a large pit or if its porous weld. The right side of the receiver ring has a similar polish mark, so I'm guessing its just been scrubbed, but I figured that I would ask.

It appears that pitting was removed during refurbishment along the sides of the receiver and the bridge - rather crudely with a grinder. Luckily the nice crest and serial number were untouched. Bolt does not match.

Nice grab for the price! These Peruvians are excellent quality, but I guess I didn’t need to say that. Unique action among 98’s, don’t quote me on this but I believe the receiver ring is larger diameter than a standard 98. I lucked into a couple local, found this one a couple minutes from my house in a tiny shop. If you would like some PPU 7.65 Brass I have a decent amount that you can have, just shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• 5C0BAB46-039C-4731-94CE-295296630185.jpg
    5C0BAB46-039C-4731-94CE-295296630185.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 56
Nice grab for the price! These Peruvians are excellent quality, but I guess I didn’t need to say that. Unique action among 98’s, don’t quote me on this but I believe the receiver ring is larger diameter than a standard 98. I lucked into a couple local, found this one a couple minutes from my house in a tiny shop. If you would like some PPU 7.65 Brass I have a decent amount that you can have, just shoot me a PM.
Beautiful Tiger Stripe. Is the bolt matching? For whatever reason it seems every 1909 Peruvian in the states has a mismatched bolt but in Europe they are all matching.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No not matching, as you know yours is a score to be matching! A great looking rifle you’ve got there too! as I understand it they were simply imported with the bolts separated, don’t know if that’s true or not though.

No not matching, as you know yours is a score to be matching! A great looking rifle you’ve got there too! as I understand it they were simply imported with the bolts separated, don’t know if that’s true or not though.

One of the stories I heard was if they were imported without bolts, then they were just parts, not rifles, so the import taxes and such were cheaper, so they would ship them separate...true or apocryphal, who knows?

Imported without bolts makes sense.

Has anyone ever started a thread to try and swap bolts in the hopes of getting rifles matching again? Seems someone out there has to have your matching bolt and you likely have someone else's matching bolt.

The reason I imported mine is I couldn't find any here with a matching bolt. All were all matching except the bolt here.

..they were imported without bolts, then they were just parts, not rifles, so the import taxes and such were cheaper

Can't say if that's true but I've heard the 'stacking' story and know the stacking/packing aspect is true... especially with straight bolt rifles. You can stack and band them much tighter without the bolts. Any import duty break would only be a bonus. Just looking at ad prices from 50's-early 60's they were obviously buying them dirt cheap.

I’ve thrown out the idea of trying to start a list before but I literally got zero response on it. Maybe I should just go for it and people can add to it as they come across it if they so choose. Makes a lot more sense on a Peruvian than a 98k for instance, might actually have a decent chance at matching some up. I’ve got two to add.

It is a bit off topic to the board but I'd be okay with having a sticky at the top for Peruvian Mauser bolt serial numbers (pending approval by Mike and Bruce).

I think bolt sticky is great idea. Probably should do the same on gunboards. It's worked out for Arisakas for some people. Not me of course. Still looking for Nagoya 1st series 377.

Military Rifle Journal
Back