Third Party Press

Local Gun Shop has a Vz24, should I get it?

Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the correct Category to make my post in and please let me know if it isn't and i should move it.

My local gun shop has a Czech vz24 in 7.92 mm Kurz on sale for $299. I'm excited because this is the first Mauser I have found while perusing my local shops and the price is very within reach. The gun looked solid, the bolt was smooth (as any mauser should be) and the stock was in great shape. My only issue was that I didn't check the bore; and the stock, receiver and bolt seemed to have different numbers aka mismatched. What is your guys' opinion on this as this is my first Mauser rifle purchase and I want to have a positive experience. Please let me know if this is a good price and what are some other things i should check out before "pulling the trigger" ;)

Sorry but I didn't get a chance to take any pictures to help you guys out.

Thanks for reading!

7,92mm kurz? As in 7,92x33 pistol patronen for the MP-44?

I am assuming that is a typo...

$299 for any type of 98k, VZ-24, etc is a good price anymore, but even at that a complete mismatch, even in good shape, is the bottom end of collectability...

But it certainly may be worth it, just hard to say without pics or any more info...

7,92mm kurz? As in 7,92x33 pistol patronen for the MP-44?

I am assuming that is a typo...

$299 for any type of 98k, VZ-24, etc is a good price anymore, but even at that a complete mismatch, even in good shape, is the bottom end of collectability...

But it certainly may be worth it, just hard to say without pics or any more info...

Thank you for the reply, and sorry that was a typo.

I'm not too concerned about collectability for my first Mauser and second gun ever, I just want a solid shooter that I can use to throw some lead down range.

Also I forgot to mention that I am located in Los Angeles, California. Thus with our crazy laws it may be harder to get them with the Prop 63 internet sales ban crap coming into effect soon.

Since shooting is important to you - look for a bright and shiney bore with no muzzle wear.

Regards
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question about Czech vz-24 with Rampant Lion Crest that I asked before on gunboards and never got a straight answer.

Is there any such thing as an all matching vz-24 with Rampant Lion Crest that is not a Romanian, Chinese, or other contract rifle? If so what are the matching parts? I've looked and looked and can't find one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

..look for a bright and shiney bore with no muzzle wear.

Definitely agree about the muzzle. Since it's the last part to touch the bullet it's most important. A good crown with no physical damage is very important. I like to remove the bolt and look down the length from the muzzle end with the butt end pointed at a light source like the fluorescent ceiling light. I like to see strong, consistent lands with crisp edges. Other conditions like 'dark', 'frosted' or lightly pitted concern me somewhat less. rifling.JPG

I have a question about Czech vz-24 with Rampant Lion Crest that I asked before on gunboards and never got a straight answer.

Is there any such thing as an all matching vz-24 with Rampant Lion Crest that is not a Romanian, Chinese, or other contract rifle? If so what are the matching parts? I've looked and looked and can't find one.

The Lion crest was used on Czech military rifles only. However many were taken over by the Germans and were included in the Romanian contracts. They were never 'meant' to be contract rifles which usually had a date on receiver top. Stock, bolt, receiver have serial numbers only. Above rec. serial there should be a small stamp at the end of which will be two numbers, that is date the Czechs accepted the rifle. A lot of talk here about matched numbers, but with VZ-24's matched are in the minority. These rifles were used and rebuilt after the war, numbers being mixed at that time. So if you are collecting (or shooting) you will pass a lot of rifles up before you get one matched! Have a smith check headspace if it worries you. It is an overrated hazard, in my opinion. Unless you are going for the Gold, I would not worry too much about bore condition either. Most bad looking bores shoot as good as the average 'Joe' can hit a bull. I own about 20 Vz's and have never looked at a bore before I buy. However I have not shot many of them. Shoot one, you have shot them all! I have never seen a matched Romanian, except with force matched parts and even those are rare!

I only collect all matching rifles. If I didn't I would own a whole lot more than I do. As it is I'm just into triple digits. I know it isn't much compared to guys with 4 digit collections but I like to display my Rifles. I also like Crested Rifles.

If I understand correctly there are original matching Rampant Lion Crest Rifles out there. It's just they are very rare. What year did they switch to the Rampant Lion Crest? Why did they only number the receiver, bolt, and barrel when contract rifles had numbered stocks? Weren't even more parts numbered on the earlier rifles. Lastly is there any serious research book about the Czech Mausers? Other than the Czech Weapons and Ammo book, which is more of a picture book, I have never read about any.

I only collect all matching rifles. If I didn't I would own a whole lot more than I do. As it is I'm just into triple digits. I know it isn't much compared to guys with 4 digit collections but I like to display my Rifles. I also like Crested Rifles.

If I understand correctly there are original matching Rampant Lion Crest Rifles out there. It's just they are very rare. What year did they switch to the Rampant Lion Crest? Why did they only number the receiver, bolt, and barrel when contract rifles had numbered stocks? Weren't even more parts numbered on the earlier rifles. Lastly is there any serious research book about the Czech Mausers? Other than the Czech Weapons and Ammo book, which is more of a picture book, I have never read about any.

Regarding the lack of numbering on vz24s - read that the Czechs achieved a higher state of interchangeability earlier than the Germans and thus their later rifles - including vz24s - did not need as extensive parts numbering.

Regards
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a post I made about matching Rampant Lion Crest vz24 on gunboards and two members said they have them but no pics. I have always read Lion Crest was used 1932-39 and 1935-38 which is it?

Military Rifle Journal
Back