Third Party Press

Any "official" procedures for bedding a K43 stock?

I know that for the 98k, there were some specific guidelines for how the stock should be bedded -- I'd have to pull out my copy of Law's book, but if I recall correctly, there was, for example, supposed to be X kg of upward pressure on the barrel from the forward end of the stock.

Were there any such standards for the G/K 43? I don't see anything like that in Mr. Weaver's book.

Reason I'm asking -- I have one of these and it shoots like crap. First few shots with a cold barrel are OK, then invariably, the shots start to march off to the upper right. This is the most expensive gun I've got, and also the absolute worst shooter. I don't have the patience or the space for guns that can't be shot, aren't any fun to shoot, or aren't worth shooting. Before I give up and dump it back on the market, I'd like to try to get this sorted out.

At the moment, there is almost no stock pressure on the barrel. And looking down on the front end of the barrel with the handguard removed, I can see that it's closer to the tip of the stock on the right side, than to the left side (with plenty of clearance in the channel to either side, anyway -- it's just not even clearance. In other words, the barrel "leans right" but doesn't quite touch the wood on the right). I can slip a dollar bill under the barrel forward of the gas block. I wouldn't exactly call it free-floating -- but there's very little resistance to the bill as it comes out the front. A bit of friction but not enough to pinch the bill. Behind the gas block, the dollar bill does hang up a bit before it reaches the receiver -- a tight spot of some sort, a couple of inches forward of the receiver. For the time being, I've put about 3 layers of thin cardstock (say, business-card-thickness) under the front end, and that raises the barrel enough to eliminate that tight spot at the receiver. I haven't shot it yet with this "fix."

I don't want to do major surgery on this stock -- it is what it is, it's numbered and original to the gun and therefore basically off-limits for anything beyond temporary, reversible attempts to correct the problem. I've considered getting one of the repro stocks out of Poland to use this as a "shooter" while saving the original, numbered-to-the-gun stock. If I should get such a stock, I'm going to need some hand-holding on where to carve what to achieve which kind of fit. Are there any such guidelines online? But ultimately, I wonder if I'm just engaging in an exercise in futility with this thing.

Thoughts? Advice?

Here's a question is this rifle all matching that your shooting? Too be honest these rifles were never designed for durably more for reliable and fast production. The designed was stretched too its limit and the gas system was way over powered. I do hope your using a shooter kit with this piece. If not you will eventually break parts, crack a bolt carrier, damage too the receiver, etc.

Please post some pictures if you can. It will give us more of idea on whats going on. And Welcome too the forum by the way.

Here's a question is this rifle all matching that your shooting? Too be honest these rifles were never designed for durably more for reliable and fast production. The designed was stretched too its limit and the gas system was way over powered. I do hope your using a shooter kit with this piece. If not you will eventually break parts, crack a bolt carrier, damage too the receiver, etc.

Please post some pictures if you can. It will give us more of idea on whats going on. And Welcome too the forum by the way.

I have the shooter's kit and intend to work up to whatever size hole will just cycle with my mild(er) handloads.

At the moment I have the gas system plugged, with an undrilled socket head setscrew in there -- it's in manual mode.

Military Rifle Journal
Back