Third Party Press

DSM and Mauser 22 Sicherung (Safeties)

Fal Grunt

*** Currently Available***

Email me your information if you want your name put in for the next batch. Once I have parts in stock again I will have you send payment.

IMG_4165.jpg

DSM Sicherung
I am finishing up making a run of Safeties for the DSM and Mauser 22 rifles. These safeties were machined from an original blueprint provided by Mr. Steve Whitely, whom you may recognize his name from the Simpson "Training Rifles of the Third Reich". I am going to offer these FIRST to the members here before posting them elsewhere. I am doing this out of thanks to; Mr. Whitely for sharing the blueprint, you can all thank him, as this project would not have gotten off the ground without him, Mr. Speed for sharing all of his wonderful documents, rifles, and knowledge of German firearms industry, and the owners of the forum who graciously put up with us and who have worked so hard to advance this hobby.

Now, these require a bit of preface and explanation. Many of you know, and some of you do not, that Mauser rifles, and most rifles produced in this time period were hand fit affairs. As such I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching, studying, and analyzing the best approach. Manufacturing tolerances were usually left "plus" to allow fitting of parts to the rifle. Frequently Mauser parts will interchange, however it has been my experience that there are many cases that parts will not interchange and function CORRECTLY. I own two Mauser DSM's and a MS420b that I used for reference. None of the 3 safeties dimensionally matched, none of the 3 dimensionally matched the blue print, and the 3 safeties would not interchange and function correctly.

I say all of that to reiterate the point that these are HAND FIT, that means they will require hand fitting, to function correctly and SAFELY. If you do not feel 100% confident that you can fit your safety, please let me know, you can send your rifle, or barreled action to me for fitting. I will be including instructions with your safety on how to fit your safety to your rifle. It is YOUR responsibility to verify correct function.

If you survey original safeties, they were machined, polished, blued, and the final cam fit. I will be offering the safeties themselves in two forms. As they come off the machine, and finished. The off the machine parts will be mostly deburred in the machine, in the white, ready to be fit, polished, and blued. I have left some dimensions AT nominal to allow fitting to your bolt shroud. The finished parts will be deburred, prefit to a bolt shroud, polished, and hot salt blued. The final cam will still require fitting. They MAY require minor fitting!

AS MACHINED: $60
FINISHED: $90

These are AS MACHINED parts.
IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg

Payment:
The following forms of payment are accepted.
Paypal - send as gift or you pay the fee
Credit Card - You will receive an invoice via email to pay online with your credit card through Intuit Quickbooks
Check - Personal check is accepted, it will be held until it clears the bank
USPS MO - USPS is the ONLY money order accepted.

Shipping:
Priority Mail - is $8.00 for a flat rate box and is shipped upon receipt of funds

If you would like to purchase a safety, please PM me with your email address, or send me an email through the forum.

If you have ANY QUESTIONS, do not hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
Something I wanted to note. I have handled several broken safeties that were "fixed" however I have not had the chance to examine any cracked or unmolested broken examples. If you have a cracked or broken example that I can study I would greatly appreciate it. If you do not want to keep it, I will give you a small credit towards the purchase of a new safety so that I can examine and destructive test one.

wow ! they look great and you are doing a major service to the collecting community for making these . Thanks to Steve as well.

There is a thread I started on gun boards years back that's still going if you want to add it there as well once this forum's needs are satisfied.
Most guys go on both anyways. Price is more than fare and I may take one just to have.

Is this the same safety as a Mauser KKW?

Now that I compare my DSM to my broken KKW I see that there is a difference in the size of the wing. Will a DSM work until I find a KKW? Do you plan to make KKW safeties. I need help. I just bought my first KKW (via an auction) and when it arrived the safety was broken.

Now that I compare my DSM to my broken KKW I see that there is a difference in the size of the wing. Will a DSM work until I find a KKW? Do you plan to make KKW safeties. I need help. I just bought my first KKW (via an auction) and when it arrived the safety was broken.

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not have a KKW or prints to directly compare the two.

The size of the wing on the DSM safety was changed, enlarging the wing, though I am not exactly sure when that transition occurred.

The only thing I can offer is for you to send me your KKW safety to compare.

What I have found is its much easier to get bolt parts for the MAS45 as the bolt is the same.. There was a member here that lived in FRance and had access to parts.
He got me a couple extractors in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks to Mr. Speed, I now have a KKW drawing...

He said in his email, "The safety only has small dimension variation to normal 98 in the round shaft zone etc."

When I have time, tomorrow morning probably? I will go over the blue print and see what I can determine. Hopefully we can get a solution figured out for you.

I ordered 5 of the unfinished safeties and am well pleased. I managed to fit one to an es340b yesterday. It took me a couple of hours, but some of that time was trying to locate my needle files and making iced tea, so actual labor time would be less. Do read the instructions carefully, that would have saved me lots of headscratching. Labor time on the next rifles should be considerbly !ess. Thanks for the well made products,

Rifle #2, also an es340b. On this rifle the post needed no material removal of the diameter, I did file a few thousandths off the end. At this point the safety would swing through the full range but I needed to remove a little from the semicircular "fire" opening to allow the striker nut to pass through during the firing pin fall. Not having to reduce the post for this particular rifle let me fit the safety in around 20 minutes... Life is good.. think I'll celebrate with a gin and tonic ��

Oldwing,

thanks for the replies, I greatly appreciate the feedback.

For everyone that was interested in the finished safeties, I have a second supplier that I will be able to send the safeties to. I will have everyone's that has committed and sent payment so far ready to ship the end of this week. I do not have a specific timeline for their return, but it should be 2-3 weeks. With shipping, I should have them back and ready to ship out by the end of the year.

So conveniently, the way the KKW safety is constructed, it is different enough that I cannot modify standard 98 safeties to make a KKW safety and they will require being machined from scratch.

Just finished fitting rifle #3, basically same as #2 rifle. Easy fit. Next rifle will be a DSM Erma that I'm expecting to take much longer as the hole in the shroud that the post fits into is measurable!y smaller in diameter than the others. After I fit it I will start final polishing and the finishing of the others I've fitted. Thanks to fal grunt for a much appreciated product.

To anyone that is interested. I have found another supplier to send these safeties to for bluing that won't cost an arm and a leg for such a small batch.

If you would like a finished safety, please contact me as I would like to send them out Friday/Saturday.

Thanks

Also, I have a COUPLE of people interested in KKW safeties. I will need enough interest to justify making a batch. I would say minimum of 50 pieces.

If you make the KKW safeties I would like 2 or 3 and I would like 2 of the DSM ones too.

To anyone that is interested. I have found another supplier to send these safeties to for bluing that won't cost an arm and a leg for such a small batch.

If you would like a finished safety, please contact me as I would like to send them out Friday/Saturday.

Thanks

Also, I have a COUPLE of people interested in KKW safeties. I will need enough interest to justify making a batch. I would say minimum of 50 pieces.

As of right now I am out of the "As Machined" and "Finished" pieces.

Once I get the new cutters I made back from heat treat and get them finish ground I will update this thread.

Thanks

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back