Third Party Press

Info Requested for Zeiss Jani Zielvier Scope

capt14k

#doomandgloom
I have hit a wall trying to research this scope. If my info is correct and the scope is legit it is 1920s Production. I posted on the Imperial Thread the 1909 Argentine Sniper this Scope came attached to but have not received any replies.

My questions are whether the bases, mount, and Scope are legit and if so what is the value of the Scope and Mounts. Reason I am asking is to finalize the price on the 1909 Argentine Sniper with the seller. I know the scope is not the correct scope for the rifle but I read it is exactly the same as the Zeiss Jani Nedinsco which is the correct scope. Ideally I would like to buy the correct scope and sell or trade this scope towards the purchase. I know the Nedinsco Scopes are very Expensive ($1,500-1,800).

I tried to take pics of everything I could think of. There are not many markings. I didn't see anything on the bases. They are screwed tightly to the receiver. I did not see any signs of welding or glue, but I didn't remove them so they could be glued (how they were attached in Argentina from what I read).

The mount only the rear is numbered 931 which is close to the rifle but not the same.

The Scope is numbered 6590. It is marked from front to back near the rear on top Zielvier over No 6590 over Carl Zeiss over Jena Logo. On the left side below the knob it is marked Gewehrfabricken over Emil Kerner & Sohn over Suhl i. Thrg. I see no other markings. I found EmIl Kerner & Sohn (Son) was a maker of drilling rifles. I assume the scope if real was made for them or marked by them?

c06ad1b15e0c6e8779b56e98e55eaa42.jpg

1f6500133a80c142a2ba5a2db8898028.jpg

1edb6a9c6e7166d96923b4c1419bc604.jpg

502ab04aef545be4477fbb6039722604.jpg

29f5401d694e28255f60ef01cf41fc70.jpg

e02b865fb3a6c678feb00ee6ef757b1a.jpg

092ebf0ef85281543191ab43683b73a6.jpg

69d33daf5fac093daae58785f07f17b2.jpg

7f7aac331059d84b39125f56bda2798b.jpg

e2e33763cebfb88e944ceefa3b849313.jpg

c4d90c0e651fcf59f98c8add76ad8222.jpg

e33b6cdd39d7411aeccd5ed0ec4a32c6.jpg

24d2127445310ccea07a2771da13c371.jpg

b019a22125370782d97daaba8c24857b.jpg

Last edited:
This rifle has been converted to an Argentine sniper rifle and was not factory made. This is clearly visible by the simple fact that despite they are original Argentine ("holes" in the front base from the inner of the base to the screw cutouts) the stopping pin is not correctly facing towards the front but wrongly towards the rear.

It is most probably that someone bought a set of the sometimes available Argentine LT mounts and had a "sniper" assembled himself.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken the front base is too much towards the front (should sit in the middle of the receiver) and the scope is a Zielvier which was civilian mounted by the company engraved on the side of the elevation turret. The owner most probably bought a Zielvier which was for sale and just had it placed in the set of rings he had.

This rifle has been converted to an Argentine sniper rifle and was not factory made. This is clearly visible by the simple fact that despite they are original Argentine ("holes" in the front base from the inner of the base to the screw cutouts) the stopping pin is not correctly facing towards the front but wrongly towards the rear.

It is most probably that someone bought a set of the sometimes available Argentine LT mounts and had a "sniper" assembled himself.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken the front base is too much towards the front (should sit in the middle of the receiver) and the scope is a Zielvier which was civilian mounted by the company engraved on the side of the elevation turret. The owner most probably bought a Zielvier which was for sale and just had it placed in the set of rings he had.

The front base is exactly where it is in Webster's book and on a picture I found on Milsurps.

http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/arg...1wqyw0v1.goose_s?n=0&z=9&c=4&x=1&m=24&w=0&p=0

I think I figured out the stopping pin from the picture on Milsurps. You mean the little hole in the front mount should be facing forward on the left like pic #25 and in the link above and not facing rear right like it is in my picture.

Didn't a lot of the rifles come in from SAMCO missing bases, mounts, and Scopes and were then put back together by SAMCO or Century? Could this be how the front mount was flipped?. Or someone had a bad day at the Arsenal? The import Mark on this rifle is JLD ENT FARM, CT. I see they imported many South American Firearms.

So do I understand correctly that the bases and mounts are original? I knew the scope was not, but I still don't know what the value of the current scope is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The bases are original. The simple fact that a rifle comes with a set of original bases which were soldered the wrong way round and with a wrong scope simply makes it much more certain that someone bought a set of mounts (they were sold as sets) and made up a sniper himself than someone restored an "original" sniper.

And yes, the stopping pin is something in the cutout in the front base. In German we would say "Anschlagschrauben", and for what I know in the US it is referred as the stopping pin. It's the same as with German LT mounts, they have this screw too. It's missing with most fakes since it's hard to reproduce and many are not aware of it.

Edit: hard to make out from the pictures, but the bolt handle does not look rounded as it should on originally bent handles but rather bent with a dogleg.

I think you are correct. I would think they would have bent the handle without causing a crease. I hope I am wrong. If not this one is going in the lesson learned category. If it is a built sniper what is the value of the parts?

Stock is refinished and number removed but looks like it was originally matching. Bolt, Receiver, barrel, and floor plate match. Rear Sight, Cleaning Rod, and Muzzle Cover do not.

I guess the biggest question is what is the value of the Base, Mounts, and Scope?

f7b4ff5c505761d373fa5707b56e7eae.jpg
c00556728bf7feede34b2f182d3e7185.jpg
b5034af243e02a19993d51d11bb56880.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What is with the Argentine Snipers in Brazilian Stocks? There is one on gunbroker now and there was one on this site. The one here was re-stamped the one on gunbroker looks to be an Original Brazilian stock number that matches. In the thread below there was also an Argentine Sniper also with its serial number removed from the stock. Seems many of the Snipers had the serial removed from the stock. Was this done in Argentina or here?

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...ut-still-relevant-(1909-Argentine-low-turret)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The mount sometimes is on eBay complete. They sell for $300-400. Add the value of a Zielvier scope, an Argentine M1909 rifle and the gunsmith work for mounting it to that value, then you have the total.

Military Rifle Journal
Back