Third Party Press

Introductions

Shrink223

Registered
Hello all.

I'm a rookie K98 owner at best. In fact, one of the reasons I joined the forum is to try to learn enough to decide what to do about the Borigswald Mauser I am responsible for.

I have a friend who's a gunsmith across the valley from where I live. He helped me trade into this rifle so that my small WWII collection would be representative: M1 Garand; Lee Enfield (circa 1943) and the Mauser.

For me it's about holding history; having a sense of what it was like for people to carry these weapons and fire them. In this regard the Mauser is an acquired taste I'm sure. It's still not my favorite.

I've learned it's base plate, barrel clasp, and safety latch are not a match for the rest of the rifle which seems to be. All the cartouche match the maker. The sling looks to be original. Anyway, given these facts and the fact that I don't yet love how it feels against my shoulder when it fires, I'm not sure I want to keep it.

Apologies if anyone is offended by that last statement!

On the other hand, it was manufactured in 1940 and the baseplate is postwar--it was rebuilt, which means used, and therefore likely military issue. So that means it was probably carried and fired in one of the world's most significant conflicts. It's hard for me to part with it.

I'm sure folks in this forum can understand what I mean.

Anyhow, I appreciate being welcomed by this community. I look forward to learning more about the value of my rifle. I'm open to any suggestions you folks might have.

I've attached a couple photos.

Attachments

• K98.1.jpg
    K98.1.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 18
  • k98.5.jpg
    k98.5.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 17
welcome Shrink ; maybe the forum will help you change your mind ; otherwise , if you decide to part with your K98 , i'm sure some other guys are willing to "help" you to get rid of it , including me :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back