Third Party Press

Gew98 sniper

S/42

Thunda from down unda
Tried (poorly) to photograph the Gew98 sniper in the Australian War Memorial (AWM). It's as close as I can get unfortunately, and through glass of course (with my phone).

Look legit? SOME things in the AWM have been known to be suspect before as a former curator was a little less knowledgeable, and the AWM actively sought examples from collectors over the years to replace some items (I traded for an S/42 K98 once with them - traded in a VERY original VERY early Lithgow SMLE - hence my long-used name here).

Over to you guys. There are quite a few Gew98's in the collection, as well as example Turk rifles because of Gallipoli. Many MG's, aircraft, etc. I am TRYING to get permission to have the curator let me photograph a VG.1 that is on display, but it is partially hidden under a Volksturm arm band... (will post in the K98 forum more items)

Attachments

• Gew98 sniper.jpg
    Gew98 sniper.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 166
  • gew98 sniper 2.jpg
    gew98 sniper 2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 171
Rifle looks good, probably a State Arsenal build. Mounts and bases look a little suspect though, hard to tell.

From what I can see, it looks like an all correct sniper rifle with a Goerz Modell "M" 4x scope. Rifle should be a Danzig 1917/1918.
The mount was developed by Goerz and only used with the Goerz 4x scope.

Attached photo is from a Goerz sniper manual showing the 3x and the 4x scopes.

If you have the chance, try and get a closeup of top receiver (year and parts of "Danzig" should be still visible) and or the RR
Thanks
Wolfgang

Attachments

• Goerz Anleitung2_1 .jpg
    Goerz Anleitung2_1 .jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Thank you very much Absolut.
Though that "playing" with forward screw will "bent" scope because rear ring is rigid in place.
Best regards from France

Military Rifle Journal
Back