Third Party Press

Diverse AWM photos

S/42

Thunda from down unda
We live 10 minutes drive from the Australian War Memorial (AWM), and visit very often (one daughter LOVES going there, especially the aircraft hall - she's going to be the collector of my 2). I keep forgetting to take the DSLR, so iPhone photos will do, as crappy as they are through glass (for the rifles and MG's anyway). I can do better ones with the DSLR if anyone has anything they need photographing.

Anyhow, heres a few different firearms. I'll start with the Mausers:

Gew98 sniper pics posted on the WW1 forum http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?29239-Gew98-sniper&p=215540#post215540

2 K98's in the back of a captured Kubelwagen (with MG34)

A bnz 41 (I think - funny angle, so hard to read the date) with a winter uniform

Attachments

• mg34 Kubel.jpg
    mg34 Kubel.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 95
  • kubel.jpg
    kubel.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 88
  • uniform BNZ.jpg
    uniform BNZ.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 99
VG.1, photographed as best I could. It's in a dark display case (with a V1 overhead), partially obscured by the Volksturm band.

M.P 38 and a Mauser 34

Jap Type 96 LMG

Attachments

• vg1 oblique.jpg
    vg1 oblique.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 78
  • vg1 bot.jpg
    vg1 bot.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 80
  • vg1 muz.jpg
    vg1 muz.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 71
  • vg1 front.jpg
    vg1 front.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 75
  • vg1 bolt.jpg
    vg1 bolt.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 83
  • vg1 butt.jpg
    vg1 butt.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 77
  • mp38.jpg
    mp38.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 82
  • soldat.jpg
    soldat.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 82
  • jap.jpg
    jap.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 65
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Looks like a quality presentation.

Diverse AWM pictures

Great pictures. Looks like a place I would like to visit. Thanks for posting.
Bob32268

I'll take more in time - I estimate perhaps 300 firearms on display (Boer War through to Afghanistan ). Special SAS/Commando display currently (Welrod on display - never realised they were that large!)

Aircraft wise, there is a Lancaster, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-40, Zero, Me109G, Me163, Me262 (the 109 and 262 are left in their as-captured, non-restored paint etc), P-51, and a range of VERY original captured WW1 aircraft - Albatross, Pfalz, Von Richtofen items, and of course some aircraft we flew.

Tanks...quite a few. Amiens railway gun (outside of course, along with a heavy mortar etc). And so on. I find stuff I haven't seen each time I go there.

Attachments

• 109g.jpg
    109g.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2621.jpg
    2621.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2622.jpg
    2622.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 45
Wow. I have always said if I were rich I would collect fighter aircraft.

The G became the std high production Me after the E was replaced. These were the backbone of ME fighters for quite a while(the FW190 was solid but the ME continued to be considered the sports car, vs the practical and reliable model).

The ME 262 is amazing. Ours, in the Smithsonian, is heavily restored. The mixed alloys used caused considerable deterioration so they were not real concerned with service life.

The 163 Comet is cool, like the one in the museum in London. What brass it took to fly in that bomb! Thanks again.

The Me163 was restored only about a decade ago. It was original but deteriorating badly. I saw it once prior to restoration and it was looking bad. Bluey Truscotts Spitfire IIa is totally untouched and still drips oil and coolant, and it’s displayed in flying position. They only restore when they have to. The V1 on display has some restoration and some original. Firearms are left as is but with Renaissance wax (don’t we all lol)

Outside items are sympathetically restores or overcoated with removable clear lacquer. I think I did see the Amiens gun as original back as a kid - over 40 years ago.

great pics. reminds me of visiting the aberdeen proving grounds museum in aberdeen, Md.

I think it has gotten even better now within the last 10 years. Many more theatre relics now on display.

I love museums that conserve their items, rather that "restoring" them or leaving them outside to rust. Looks like a great place.

Looks like a brilliant museum,that 262 is stunning in its original condition and I hope any would be restorers don't ever get to ruin it.I'd be most interested to see the boer war stuff.

Military Rifle Journal
Back